red tail catfish ph will he be ok (water ph)

sirio1977

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2013
scotland
hi im picking up my red tail catfish tommorow he is a wild sent from Sri Lanka so the supplier has kept him in qarintine after his big trip to the uk.hes now ready for me to pick up iv got an established aqarium all set up for him ph 8.2 so i done a 80% water change and iv got my ph down to about 7.4ppm.my water out the tap is 7.2ppm i still think i can get it lower than that as my other tank sevrum tank sits at about 6.8ppm with no bog wood just slate and plants.will he be ok in with a ph of 7.4ppm till my ph settles over time.

importracer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2005
NorthernCalifornia
6.0 is nuetral.......too high of a ph is living in lake victoria when the cat is from southern american water systems.......

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
^Neutral pH is 7.0 not 6 ;)

An rtc can survive in a pH of 7.4 but they thrive in more acidic water (5.8-6.8) so I wouldn't let it go higher than 7.5 max. You can probably acclimate him to 7.2 just fine but you'll need to do frequent tests and water changes to prevent the tank from reaching 8+ again. Some driftwood or peat moss wouldn't hurt either

oneyedfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
West Chester, PA
^Neutral pH is 7.0 not 6 ;)

An rtc can survive in a pH of 7.4 but they thrive in more acidic water (5.8-6.8) so I wouldn't let it go higher than 7.5 max. You can probably acclimate him to 7.2 just fine but you'll need to do frequent tests and water changes to prevent the tank from reaching 8+ again. Some driftwood or peat moss wouldn't hurt either
This. Short answer- you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store