Overcleaning HOB filters?

swifty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 13, 2013
California
Is there such a thing?

Currently I have 2 aquaclear 50 filters, and it has come to my attention that I may be over-cleaning my filters.

Once a week, I squeeze the sponges in removed tank water and swirl the bio bags around in the water for anything loose. I also toss out the polyester batting that I cut to size, and replace with a new piece.

Once a month, I'll take a toothbrush to the impeller/intake tubes/filter box and remove any algae or gunk that has formed.

I was told to be careful that I may cause a mini-cycle because I can be over-cleaning my filters and removing too much BB somehow; is this possible? Should I reduce the frequency of media rinsings?

Lunglover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2013
Nor Cal
If you're not cleaning the bio media too much I don't see a problem. The BB stored up on all the other surfaces wouldn't be enough for a mini-cycle. I may be wrong though.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Is there such a thing?

Currently I have 2 aquaclear 50 filters, and it has come to my attention that I may be over-cleaning my filters.

Once a week, I squeeze the sponges in removed tank water and swirl the bio bags around in the water for anything loose. I also toss out the polyester batting that I cut to size, and replace with a new piece.

Once a month, I'll take a toothbrush to the impeller/intake tubes/filter box and remove any algae or gunk that has formed.

I was told to be careful that I may cause a mini-cycle because I can be over-cleaning my filters and removing too much BB somehow; is this possible? Should I reduce the frequency of media rinsings?
You are fine. Many experienced keepers clean more often than you do with no ill effects. I wouldn't worry about it.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
If you are consistant with your cleaning ect you should be fine.. your BB ect are use to this routine. TBH I only clean my HOBs every now and then by taking a quick brush to the intake tube and replaceing media that needs to be replaced/cleaning when the flow rate drops ect... or a build-up of mulm in the bottom. I do however do "major" filter cleaning every other wc day.. the other one I do a "major" in-tank cleaning ect. So I'm never messing with the "whole" system to much... But tbh it's probably more over-caution then anything. Problem is when your BB crash its a PITA to keep up with water quality until it can re-stabilize sometimes so it's imo better to be overly cautiouse then underly.. w/out being a "neat freak" about it all. I have seen tanks kept way to "clean" that where almost always in a state of cycle because people just can't leave things alone sometimes and always have to fiddle...

If it ain't broke don't fix it.... if you don't have water quality issues ect leave well enough alone.. if you do then tweek you routine until you find what works best ( each of my tanks has a different schedule it does best on, depends on stock, turn-over rates, heck indirect lighting, ect...) an Aquarium is it's own lil' world... each one is different but the basics are all the same.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store