Seachem De-nitrate

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
My question is can this be used as a permanent biological filtration? I'm thinking of swapping out my ceramic rings for this... Actually want to get the matrix but, seems not too many places carry and if they carry it shipping is a killer! Asking because it says it does Say it gets exhausted but, does this mean only for the "de-nitrate"? Biologically can this be used continueous? Thanks for any help!

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
If it has a rough surface then BB will grow but with a name like that what I am guessing is it either has some chemical to reduce nitrates or it can grow anaerobic bacteria. Are you using it for a reef?

Squirtle919

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2011
Within Earth
I think being more a chemical like filtration media you should stay away from it.

Matrix is more what your looking for imo, I would use de-nitrate in a reactor in the last section of the sump to do nothing more then remove nitrates. Its the same as purigen pretty much, also very smooth so I doubt you would be getting even 1/8th of the surface area/ volume ratio compared to matrix.

Unattended Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2010
near but far
I think being more a chemical like filtration media you should stay away from it.

Matrix is more what your looking for imo, I would use de-nitrate in a reactor in the last section of the sump to do nothing more then remove nitrates. Its the same as purigen pretty much, also very smooth so I doubt you would be getting even 1/8th of the surface area/ volume ratio compared to matrix.
Thanks was looking for a reply like that. I'm looking for matrix but shipping is soo expensive was thinking of other options. Thanks I was just about to order the de-nitrate...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store