Kigoma fronts?

snshn56

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
USA/Missouri
So, I was at my local lfs and low and behold they had fronts! I have been looking for a long time, as I just don't feel comfortable with having fish shipped. So, I bought 4 of them. Cost me $75. From everything I can tell from the big front posting on here, I think I have Kigomas. Anyways, I brought them home, acclimated them to the tank, and let them out. My tank looks completely empty. Unless I feed them, and sit and wait, and wait, and wait, I can't tell they are in there. They will NOT come out of their little hiding places to eat. They wait until it happens to float in their little spot! I can't get a picture or anything. Is this normal????

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
Keep the lights off for a few days and let them settle in. Also how big are the fish and the tank?

snshn56

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
USA/Missouri
75 gallon tank, only gonna keep 2, if I get a pair, the other 2 I can take back to my lfs for credit. the fish are maybe 1 1/2 -2 inches. closer to the 1 1/2.

coyotethug

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2005
Michigan
Fronts are skittish, especially when small. As previously stated leave lights off for a while and let them acclimate. Might be a good idea to get some other small active fish to make them more bold, common tactic for shy fish. You could use cyprichromis if you wanna stay with tangs or danios or livebearers if it doesn't matter to you.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Source310

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2010
Phoenix az
I've had my wc zaires for over 2 years now and are always out.
I have sand and two caves made out of lava rock.My beta male took over one and my breeder female took over the other.
I will post a pic sometime.

I find that low decor really helped these guys be out and about.
I know that it is tricky trying to get them comfortable but I know darn well it is very rewarding getting to see these fish magestically glide through the water. :thumbup:

Sent from my SGH-T999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

poppalina

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2010
Boston
If you could pic up some more Fronts as they are more comfortable in large groups, also you could pic up some small comps or calvus and let them grow up together as they are both slow growers.

snshn56

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
USA/Missouri
Here they are....cell phone pictures, so sorry about quality on a couple of them...I can sit unmoving, and will finally see 2 or 3, there are 4 in there....new fish 7-13 046.jpgnew fish 7-13 060.jpgnew fish 7-13 065.jpgnew fish 7-13 069.jpgnew fish 7-13 079.jpg

new fish 7-13 046.jpg

new fish 7-13 060.jpg

new fish 7-13 065.jpg

new fish 7-13 069.jpg

new fish 7-13 079.jpg

IndyTexy

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2012
Plainfield Indiana
Nice but definatley not Kigoma . Kigoma have seven stripes. Even if you get a pair keep your group together and they will be move active after they settle in.

Ash

I dum care =]
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2005
Tampa
Well I can tell you for sure that those are not kigomas. Kigs have 7 stripes and also the coloration of yours is different. The mask on the face is also not right for a kigoma. Your fronts are nice looking though. They do best in groups and are generally shy fish so give them some time to get settled into your tank. They will come out more in a few days. Chances are if you approach the tank they might quickly hide. Mine are 6-9inches and they hate movements around their tank. They are just skiddish by nature. I think you will enjoy them a lot once they settle in. I think a pair for a 75gal sounds like a good plan for that size of a tank. If you decide you want to keep more you can upgrade to a 125-150gal and keep more of them as they do well in colonies. For the time being you can always add some other tangs for tankmates to help bring them out and have some other cool stuff to look at. If you decide to breed them when they are older though you will be better off with no tank mates. Good luck with them!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store