HOB or Canister?

r.zanello

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 14, 2008
canada
It has come to my attention that a lot of people in the Discus world are switching back to HOB vs canisters. They are also setting them up with just a sponge and bio material(rings, bio balls, seachem matrix).

My questions is why the change back?

I currently have a Rena XP3 for a 90g, but its starting to make funny sounds. I think it is on its way out. Should I purchase another canister or switch to two AC 70's or 110's?, and how should I set up the filter(canister or HOB)?

probassfisher010

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2011
California
I think the theory is that the media receives more oxygen, providing a better environment for the bacteria to work more efficiently. If you use sand however, I highly recommend a canister still, Eheim being my favorite, and if you do switch, the only HoB I've been happy with is the aqua clear brand.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Skittle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 26, 2012
PA
For that tank i would do 2 ac110s if you can. Imo many doscus keepers are usin hobs more now is because theyre really easy to clean, and canisters take longer to clean. Unfortunatly, if you dont clean your canister for a while, it can move less gph, fill with gunk, and produce heavy nitrates. With canisters, youd have to kill the power and take the whole thing apart to clean, while with hobs, you can even leave it runnin while you clean it out

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

jeremoose

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2011
Canada
Or go 2xPenguins for half the price of 2xAC110's, I have both filters and price vs performance I'd pick the Penguins every time.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store