My Rescued Florida Gar!

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
Hey guys, I am making this thread to talk about and show progress on my new gar I recently rescued from a 30 gallon. You can find the rescue thread right HERE: http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?546170-My-Fish-Sanctuary-(RESCUE-THREAD)

Anyways, He is around 13-15 inches or so and his name is Jerry GARcia! ((named after the singer in my moms favorite band "The Grateful Dead".))

for all the other info on him please go check out the link above... I have over 4 paragraphs describing in detail about the rescue... Hi best friend is "SCOOTER" the 14 inch sun catfish that he was rescued with... they still have a close bond and hang out together sometimes in their new 300 gallon mansion! It is really fun to watch this interaction between the two and it makes me even more glad I rescued both fish and not just one... I honestly did not think that fish were this smart as to remember which fish they grew up with and have a close bond on 2 completely different species... that is exactly what I love about this hobby, you learn new things everyday, and interesting behaviors are so cool and rewarding to view! anyways, on his first night, Jerry was being closely watched and investigated by my 26 inch clown knife fish... it was SO nerve wrecking to see a massive bulky predator come straight up and tough his nose to this cool "little" guy time and time again... Every time your heart sinks and you feel like "oh! he is gonna totally chomp him" But, it never happened... I NEVER interfered and I just let nature take its course... I figure, Even if I HAD stopped the knife fish a few times, he would still eventually kill Jerry if he wanted to... I went to sleep after 2 hours of watching... I just couldn't take any more stress... That was one of the hardest night to sleep I have ever had LOL! today in the morning I woke up really early because of stress...i just sat there silent for an hour or so thinking to myself if I should even go down the stairs to the fish room to check... I swear... just thinking about if it was there or not gave me a minor heart attack... I finally decided that I NEEDED to go and check... I slowly crept down the staris and when I looked around the corner I saw him swimming happily and i almost did a backflip in excitement! The knifefish topped checking hi out to! I think he has finally realized, "there IS a fish that I can't swallow!" LOL, but I just wanted to share that part of the story to show that gar CAN live with large predators... Oh, and, Everyone tried to tell me he would go after my tinfoil barbs cause they are "SHINY" well, he pays NO attention to them so, so far, so good! :D keeping my fingers crossed!

ANYWAYS,
I will keep this thread updated as things happen... I still have the challenge of getting him off of live feeders which, I ACCEPT!
this is why i love this hobby. straight up. new experiances like this is why I keep fish. You can NEVER master fish keeping... no matter how experianced you are there is always new things to try, new experiances to have, and more cash to blow ;)

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
anyone?

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
if you wanna go through it breeding your own live feeders is good all around, gars are real finicky as ive heard, my uncles FL refused any kind of pellet or non live food since he got it at about 7 in. It depends on the fish, as ive seen many things about red wolf fish not eating anything not alive, first time i dropped a lil chunk of cubed brine shrimp he was all over it.

As for the clown knife i feel like that would be a tough lunch to try n get haha gar aren't pushovers. your barbs may be in danger, may not be, time will tell haha.

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
My only thought is this, you've only had the gar for a couple weeks right? Give it some real time before you make all these decisions about compatibility.

Look at the stickies, they should answer most questions you may have, suck as breaking off of live foods.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
My only thought is this, you've only had the gar for a couple weeks right? Give it some real time before you make all these decisions about compatibility.

Look at the stickies, they should answer most questions you may have, suck as breaking off of live foods.

ok thanks. but, not every gar is the same... just because most gars chase shiny fish doesnt mean mine will...

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
ok thanks. but, not every gar is the same... just because most gars chase shiny fish doesnt mean mine will...
To me that seems like some of the worst logic ever, why take the risk when the odds are not on your side. But hey they are your fish, I really don't care what you do with them, only trying to save you some tankmates.

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
To me that seems like some of the worst logic ever, why take the risk when the odds are not on your side. But hey they are your fish, I really don't care what you do with them, only trying to save you some tankmates.
how is he gonna even grab a 10-12 inch tinfoil barb? he is TALL to...

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
... Oh, and, Everyone tried to tell me he would go after my tinfoil barbs cause they are "SHINY" well, he pays NO attention to them so, so far, so good! :D keeping my fingers crossed!
When I first got my gar (4 of them from the purchase of a couple used tank setups)...I put them in a tank that had some decent sized tin-foil barbs (way too big for them to eat)...and the gars were tearing them up. Thus I had to remove the gar before the barbs totally got shredded. It's been about 3-4+ months since then...and the tin-foil barbs have healed completely.:)

... I still have the challenge of getting him off of live feeders which, I ACCEPT!
I have on the rare occasion fed my gar some feeder minnows...but 99% of the time I feed them pellets. 3 of the 4 gar have absolutely no problems eating the pellets...the only one that has a problem is my needle-nose gar. Because his snout/mouth is so long & slender...he does have problems sometimes actually snagging the pellets.

When he does that sideways "strike" at a pellet...he many times misses it...and many times when he does snag a pellet...as he's working it closer & closer to his throat to swallow it...sometimes it slips out of his mouth (then he has to try all over again).

I worry about him sometimes if he's getting enough food...since he's being out-competed by the other gar. So many times I actually watch him until I see that he's gotten at least a couple pellets (or I drop some directly in front of his mouth so he gets first shot at it before the other gar).

My 4 gar are:

- two alligator gar
- one spotted gar
- one needle nose gar

The smallest is about 10-12"...and the largest is about 18"+. Like I mentioned...I've probably had then for about 4 months now...and they've been on pellets almost all of that time. So gar can definitely be encouraged to eat pellets...and thrive!:)

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
how is he gonna even grab a 10-12 inch tinfoil barb? he is TALL to...
my smaller gar is the most aggressive in all my gar and he is about 18'', he shredded the tail and fin of my koi and my catfish while the cat is about 12'' and the kois are 18''! the cat is not even shiny and the kois are bigger than him.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
When I first got my gar (4 of them from the purchase of a couple used tank setups)...I put them in a tank that had some decent sized tin-foil barbs (way too big for them to eat)...and the gars were tearing them up. Thus I had to remove the gar before the barbs totally got shredded. It's been about 3-4+ months since then...and the tin-foil barbs have healed completely.:)

I have on the rare occasion fed my gar some feeder minnows...but 99% of the time I feed them pellets. 3 of the 4 gar have absolutely no problems eating the pellets...the only one that has a problem is my needle-nose gar. Because his snout/mouth is so long & slender...he does have problems sometimes actually snagging the pellets.

When he does that sideways "strike" at a pellet...he many times misses it...and many times when he does snag a pellet...as he's working it closer & closer to his throat to swallow it...sometimes it slips out of his mouth (then he has to try all over again).

I worry about him sometimes if he's getting enough food...since he's being out-competed by the other gar. So many times I actually watch him until I see that he's gotten at least a couple pellets (or I drop some directly in front of his mouth so he gets first shot at it before the other gar).

My 4 gar are:

- two alligator gar
- one spotted gar
- one needle nose gar

The smallest is about 10-12"...and the largest is about 18"+. Like I mentioned...I've probably had then for about 4 months now...and they've been on pellets almost all of that time. So gar can definitely be encouraged to eat pellets...and thrive!:)
if you are feeding them large size pellet, they will have a hard time eating them. try smaller size of pellet, baby size pellet should be good for all your gars as I see my smaller gar having an easier time taking them into his mouth.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store