Upgrading Pipe Sizes?

cooper.s

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2010
Essex, UK
I've got an FX5 with obviously 25mm Pipework and I've just brought a eheim pro 3 with 22mm Pipework
I've got a new 6x2x2 on its way and I am going to plumb it all in properly (plumber by trade so a little bit anal about having it all plumbed and looking the mutts) I'm just wondering if I upgrade the eheim Pipework will It cause any problems with the eheim pump? Bigger pipe only means better flow so I wouldn't imagine it would but just wondering if any1 has done this and had any problems?

Thanks
Sean

pigoo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 25, 2013
United States
Bigger pipe only means better flow so I wouldn't imagine it would but just wondering if any1 has done this and had any problems?
Not correct. A bigger pipe only means better flow...if...the original pipe was causing some sort of restriction. If the original pipe was causing no restrictions to flow...then flow will remain the same (gallons/hour). What will change is the velocity at which the water exits the pipe. Bigger pipe = slower velocity.

A pumps ability/capacity remains the same (gallons/hour). Thus a pump that is capable of pumping 400 gallons/hour...will still pump 400 gallons/hour. As long as the pipes being used do not create some sort of restriction to flow.

You may also want to read up on the "Venturi Effect".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect

In reality (going from 22mm to 25mm) may not be a super big issue. Just expect reduced water velocity exiting the ehiem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store