Stuck in Fluval FX5 hell. Need help

mcaninchr

Feeder Fish
Jul 17, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi All

I recently came into posession of a 90 gallon tank and a Fluval FX5 filter. My kids were looking for a bigger tank as we were running 2 10 gallon tanks and the working system was offered to me by a coworker free of charge. Growing up I had a 45 and a 55 gallon tank (back in the 80s and my how things have changed) so I while this is a big step up, I figured it wasn't totally foreign to me. This filter however hates me and I hate it. I found that the out connector was broken so I ordered a OEM (no knockoff) new lid and ring. Ok it fits but when I watch the videos online when the "OUT" is connected it makes a clicking noise. I don't hear a click and nothing I do can make it click. When I go so far as to turn the knobs to open the hoses, the gravitational force of the water in the OUT tube causes water to leak out of the bottom of the connection. I promised the kids that I would get it working but after two weeks of flooding and cuss words I am about ready to bash it and the aquarium to small pieces with an aluminium baseball bat in the front yard. Has anybody encountered this before? I thank you as do my 11, 8 and almost 6 years. I apologize for the tone but at this point I really really hate this thing.....

Thanks,
Robin

mcaninchr

Feeder Fish
Jul 17, 2013
Pittsburgh, PA
Just to be clear. It was the plastic part on the lid that was broken (the part that the end of the hose clips into) so that is why I ordered a new lid. It appeared identical (although) not broken to the original and says Fluval FX5 on it. Thanks.

backpack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2012
Fl, USA
use some Vasoline for the o rings. if that doesn't work get new orings from napa in three sizes close but smaller and try again.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
switch the valves/connectors from the intake and output hoses. If the intake then leaks you know its a bad valve/connector, if the output still leaks then you know it is the lid thats the problem. Without the "clicking" into place I would suspect that is your problem.

lp85253

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2009
buy an aquaclear 110 ....:) and sell the fx5 on craigslist... you will come out even or ahead money wise AND have a filter that's way easier to use... if you want "more filtration "add another hob or sponge filter after you sell the fx5

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Did u push in the orange button and twist hose connector? This is the safest way to hook it up. No need for click if the hose connector is all the way on

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Well there was a reason it was free...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store