New Mekon NTT datnoids emerging

Arowana718

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2010
nyc
Lately i been seeing these fish popping up for sale. theres a for sale thread on market place thread of vendor selling Mekon datnoids. Which is like ntt datnoids but with thicker bars

Also see it on ebay for mekon tiger datnoids

Any1 can chime in on this

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

ICHIBAN TROPICAL FISH

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2010
Steeler city
Mekong and ntt is same species and collection point from mekong river in thailan ,vietnam and cambodia , is just a few had bit thick bar then reg ntt . thailan water is bit soft then other vietnam and Cam , which mean is NTT collec from thailan more deep gold and stable then other 2 country ,

tdkee1

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
West Coast
Without seeing a picture of the "Mekong" ntt you are speaking of, I will bet you it does not have a partial bar between the middle and the last bar. I have said this before but the other ntt's have small partial bars and thinner S curved middle bars that taper at the bottom. I have kept both kinds. I bought them in person from two different batches at different times, different stores. They were all the same in each batch and never mixed together.

Just my opinion but ntt stands for Northern Thailand Tiger. If they are from different locations, how can we call them Northern Thailand tiger if they are from Vietnam or Cambodia. Which is the real ntt? Whichever one it is, my favorite is still the ones with no partial bars but I like them all.

tdkee1

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
West Coast
No disrespect to Ichiban. He has a lot of experience with datnoids and has raised and imported a lot of them. I'm just saying I noticed that there is a difference between the two. They all are, considered thinbars.

fattiger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
Where the Amazon meets the Mekong
Without seeing a picture of the "Mekong" ntt you are speaking of, I will bet you it does not have a partial bar between the middle and the last bar. I have said this before but the other ntt's have small partial bars and thinner S curved middle bars that taper at the bottom. I have kept both kinds. I bought them in person from two different batches at different times, different stores. They were all the same in each batch and never mixed together.

Just my opinion but ntt stands for Northern Thailand Tiger. If they are from different locations, how can we call them Northern Thailand tiger if they are from Vietnam or Cambodia. Which is the real ntt? Whichever one it is, my favorite is still the ones with no partial bars but I like them all.
lovethemfish has a batch of these mekong dats coming in and he posted several pics. I assume these are the dats in question. You can find those pics yourself and take a look.

I agree NTT should refer to a well known kind of dats collected from a specific region, but I believe jojo is using the term NTT loosely there.

I think it would be correct if the conjecture was changed to say they could both be datnioides undecimradiatus

their physical similarities are very apparent but again without DNA test there is no real way to prove one way or the other, just like the ST / CT debate

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
You can clearly see a difference in the 2. In TJ's and Jemma kays. The "regular: ntt is far more gold with thinner stripes. Whether it's a collection point issue or not, they are NOT the same fish.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I don't remember who it was but someone brought up these differences in thinbars a few months ago and lo and behold,here they are.

fattiger

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2012
Where the Amazon meets the Mekong
You can clearly see a difference in the 2. In TJ's and Jemma kays. The "regular: ntt is far more gold with thinner stripes. Whether it's a collection point issue or not, they are NOT the same fish.
Not sure I completely buy this. Even ITs can have different base gold colors. Color itself is not enough to differentiate species imo. In terms of bars, oddball and 3 bar look a LOT more different than a 4 bar yet everyone agrees all are the same fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store