Does anybody else get nervous about stands breaking?

topoftheline77

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2006
Germantown, Wisconsin, USA
I have a 20ish year old 29/35 wooden stand and I'm nervous about it breaking under all that weight. Also I see some stands for sale that I would never imagine could hold the weight of the tank it's suggested for. How would you recommend I deal with this anxiety?

Sent from my SCH-R530U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
What helped me a lot was information my Dad gave me. He was an architect and he explained a bit how materials actually support weight (load bearing capacity, lateral loads etc.) I believe that if you understood how much weight a properly built stand could hold, you'd breathe a lot easier.

Stands have to deal with compression and lateral loads. Materials that people have (wood, plywood and concrete) are quite suitable to handle tanks if the stand is properly built. If you read through the DIY forum under tanks I think you'll see a lot of posts from very experienced builders explaining this.

Try this. Good read on the subject.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...ied-that-your-stand-won-t-hold-up-(1-Viewing)

E.C.

I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
What helped me a lot was information my Dad gave me. He was an architect and he explained a bit how materials actually support weight (load bearing capacity, lateral loads etc.) I believe that if you understood how much weight a properly built stand could hold, you'd breathe a lot easier.

Stands have to deal with compression and lateral loads. Materials that people have (wood, plywood and concrete) are quite suitable to handle tanks if the stand is properly built. If you read through the DIY forum under tanks I think you'll see a lot of posts from very experienced builders explaining this.

Try this. Good read on the subject.

http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?302232-Worried-that-your-stand-won-t-hold-up-%281-Viewing%29
+1

Ang

I should be a Hookworm
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2005
San Diego
I had the same anxiety. I had a stand for my 125 that I just looked at and shuddered. It was particle board. What happens to particle board when it gets wet? It comes apart!
Plus it just seemed flimsy. (Ikea type stand) it was made for a tank, but IKEA is just what I would liken it to.

So I (having not carpentry skills), had my husband and my Dad build me a custom stand. ... I overbuilt it for sure. This thing could hold an M1 Abram. That's how I got over the anxiety. My Dad has loads of experience building decks, houses, and knows about aquariums too. I can sleep well at night now.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
How would you recommend I deal with this anxiety?
It's simple really, build/buy stands you are confident will hold your tanks!

If looking at a dodgy stand is giving you the s**ts then it is probably for a good reason, do something about it before it breaks. I love hearing people say "oh but it holds the tank fine", well obviously it does now, but your tank is only going to break once! Just because it hasn't happened yet doesn't mean it never will...

Dr.Gonzo4

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 3, 2013
New York
my buddy who builds his own stands re enforces them with steel rebar, they have a wooden outer and a bamboo lamnant on the sides, they look beautiful and sturdy as all hell! im building a stand for a 200 ga tank soon with those materials. Rebar is stong af n common, easier to use then welding iron together haha

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store