salt in your freshwater aquarium?

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
whats up fellow mfk members....always put salt in my tank after a good water change but i was you sea salt from my lfs....i just ran out and did my water change a good 50 percent but my aro looks a little stressed so i went to get him salt and the lfs closed early today....cn i use kosher salt with no iodide? is it the same thing?:)thanks mfk

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I doubt your aro will be stressed from no salt, in fact it is probably better with out it. There's no one tipping salt into the Amazon...

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
You should be fine. Do you use sea salt which is for marine tanks or the API aquarium salt ?

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
i know he does need it but i always put a little in and all my fish take me cleaning the tank eel during and after. but this time when i was done he was nose on the glass going crazy up and down and he never does that so i put the salt in it the kosher salt with no iodide in it and 15 mins later he stopped. could that be cause of the salt

Inglorious

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 27, 2010
Stuck inside my own head
You should be fine. Do you use sea salt which is for marine tanks or the API aquarium salt ?
Sea salt is not the same as the marine salt used in SW aquariums. In fact the sea salt you can pick up at the grocery store is pretty much identical to API salt except it's much cheaper. An even more economical solution that many people use is solar salt meant for water softeners. You can pick up a 40# bag for under $5.

altumz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
earf
I doubt your aro will be stressed from no salt, in fact it is probably better with out it. There's no one tipping salt into the Amazon...
theres no one tipping salt in the amazon but that doesnt mean the amazon doesnt have some kind of salt in it.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
i alwaysed use AFI freshwater aquarium salt but ran out and didnt notice when i went to do one of my big water changes. so i just used the kosher salt

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
If you're doing a 50% water change by emptying half the tank, then refilling from the tap, then adding salt you're going to be creating some fairly big fluctuations in salinity/gravity. I don't know how much salt you're using or if it will even be at a noticeable level for your fish, but essentially you're halving the salinity then doubling it again. I doubt the salt had anything to do with the aros behaviour, and I also doubt you're gaining anything by regularly using it with the fish you keep.

theres no one tipping salt in the amazon but that doesnt mean the amazon doesnt have some kind of salt in it.
Perhaps, but does it have any more salt in it than the water that comes out of your tap? Not likely, so why add more salt?

Osmotic pressure is the hydrostatic pressure produced by a difference in concentration between solutions on the two sides of a surface such as a semi permeable membrane or cell (Ed: or for instance the cell on the gill of a freshwater fish and the surrounding water). Osmotic pressure also occurs in and around freshwater fish as they must keep on osmoregulating . . . spending much energy retaining salts and excreting water. ... What makes matters worse, though, is when aquarium salt and other additives are added to the aquarium . . .not only does the conductivity increase but now the ions that were in balance in the natural water (tap water or water source) are completely out of balance. To explain this better ionic imbalance occurs when Chloride and or Sodium become the major cations or anions in water. then it becomes imbalanced and unnatural. If you look at just about all fresh waters with very few exceptions it is calcium and or magnesium that are the major cations and sulfate, alkalinity/bicarbonate/ carbonate are the major anoins. Even in Lake Tanganyika which is the biggest exception to the freshwater rule the principle cation is magnesium and the major anion is bicarbonate/carbonate. These ions even though they are water soluble they are much less soluble than the chloride and sodium ions. All aquarium additives have one thing in common, included in their products are chloride and sodium. It is the chloride ion then the sodium ion that are taken in by the freshwater fish due to there water solubility. When these ions are so numerous and are the chief cations and anions in an aquarium, the freshwater fish is under much stress osmoregulating thus spending much energy as chloride and sodium are being taken up.
source; http://www.tbas1.com/Exchange/The New England 11.pdf

So by increasing the salinity above levels the fish would naturally encounter you're making hard work out of osmoregulation. Seems like a waste of money to me.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store