New to the hobby

Oscarito

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 6, 2013
Los angeles
Hey guys I'm fairly new to the hobby that is fishing. I've been three times 1 in the ocean pier (1 sardine)and the other 2 ( 0 fish) in the lake I have a Shakespeare rod medium with a mantis reel i found at a yard sale for 5$ so I bought it without knowing anything about fishing. I really want to learn and I want to buy a rod and reel combo that will work for medium sized catfish. Do you recommend anything or should I just stick with what I have and gain some experience better. I use mackerel as bait but some one told me to try chicken liver and blood from wal mart. Do you guys have any tips or tricks fro me ? Thanks

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Don't fish around other people, don't bring your dog, pick up a second pole so you can use 2, bait looks good, Patience is key! Good luck.

FASTLANE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
North Jersey
My suggestion would be to fish with what u got. I've seen women catch striped bass on a stick with a rope attached to it so your equipment is fine for a beginner. If its catfish you're after I would recommend using night crawlers it's simple and always works. I would also recommend a khale hook for you since this can be set or the fish can hook itself. Kind of a cross between a circle hook and J hook. Will improve your success rate in the beginning. Use as little weight as you can to hold bottom in the area your fishing. No weight and a slight current is ideal. I've landed some nice bull heads that way. Most importantly ask questions and look to learn and you will catch on quickly

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
If you have a friend who's familiar with the equipment have him look at your rod and reel and make sure they're in good repair. As long as nothing's wrong with them it should be adequate for channel or bullhead cats. I fish two rods for channels and like to use one sliding bottom rig with chicken liver and one hi-lo rig with shad, anchovies, or night crawlers.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bonzo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2007
CA
My advice is stop while you can. This hobby is very addictive and can get expensive. But seriously thou, if you really want to get into fishing check out some fishing forums. There are a few good forums for southern California anglers. You can get tons of information and advice. Good luck and tight line!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store