Are My Water Changes Correct?

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
Every time i do a water change i drain the tank and clean the substrate to w.e percent water change im doing put the water from my faucet back in and i put the according amount of stress coat to condition the water for a 90 gallon. Then i add the according amount of freshwater aquarium salt to bring the fishes stress levels down. I have a 10.5 inch silver aro, 10 inch florida gar, 10 inch poly lap, 8.5 inch clown knife, 4 inch cray fish, and 4 inch pleco. All living happily for about 5 months they all grew about 3 inches since i had gotten them. Just wanted to know if i should be doing anything else in my water changes?...........................Thanks guys......Mike

P.S My media and filter cleanings are on different days:D

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
i never use stress coat. I use safe/prime by seachem. It does the same thing but you need to use far less. Stress coat can get very expensive. I've had a small bottle of safe for almost 6 months now and it''s only half gone. Cost me $14.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
thanks guys ill see if my local lfs carrys that brand.........they don't really know a lot but they said to use stress coat and it has been working but my fish are getting big now and will be in this 90 for about another 4-5 months then a 225for a while then hoping to get big enough for a ponp or a 600 plus gallon tank so im trying to get everything right the first time.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
had a 90 with a arrow and 2 poly endlis and a couple of crayfish for about a year and a half. Then hurricane sandy came and there was power for months so they died =(

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Every time i do a water change i drain the tank and clean the substrate to w.e percent water change im doing put the water from my faucet back in and i put the according amount of stress coat to condition the water for a 90 gallon. Then i add the according amount of freshwater aquarium salt to bring the fishes stress levels down. I have a 10.5 inch silver aro, 10 inch florida gar, 10 inch poly lap, 8.5 inch clown knife, 4 inch cray fish, and 4 inch pleco. All living happily for about 5 months they all grew about 3 inches since i had gotten them. Just wanted to know if i should be doing anything else in my water changes?...........................Thanks guys......Mike

P.S My media and filter cleanings are on different days:D

This way? You don't put the water in before the conditioner do you?

I don't generally add salt, although I know some knowledgeable /experienced people do. I do use salt for wounds or some treatments. Sounds like you are doing pretty well.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
Yea ive always fill the tank up then add everything to the tank after and its always worked but i just wanted to make sure i was using all the righ stuff and doing all the right stuff.

Ninjakiller08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2013
Ontario, Canada
Yea ive always fill the tank up then add everything to the tank after and its always worked but i just wanted to make sure i was using all the righ stuff and doing all the right stuff.
I really don't see the need to use aquarium salt. It isn't a necessity unless you need to do some treatment.

I personally condition the water first because that way you eliminate the chance of a mini cycle. That would lead to an ammonia spike which would be the only real reason why your fish would be stressed after a water change. Without salt I don't see a difference.

MikeGuerra

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 17, 2013
rockaway park ny
I really don't see the need to use aquarium salt. It isn't a necessity unless you need to do some treatment.

I personally condition the water first because that way you eliminate the chance of a mini cycle. That would lead to an ammonia spike which would be the only real reason why your fish would be stressed after a water change. Without salt I don't see a difference.

do you put the additives in the tank then add the water to the tank or do you add the additives to the water then add the water to the tank?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store