Questions about setting up Saltwater Tank.

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
I have a 100G I wanna set up as a salt water, but I just want to set it up where it's just fish and sand I used from my freshwater tank.

Would it work? I don't want any corals and live rock, would I need a protein skimmer?
I have 2 fluval 406 and an aqua clear HOB on the tank.
I don't think I need a wave maker because my fluval 406's already provide a lot of current in the tank, I have it splashing water on top.

Basically all I'm doing is SW fish and Dead Sand, with 64 Watt Lights. With great filtration, would it be hard to maintain the water? and would the fish be fine?

Akuma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kyoto/Japan
It would definitly be hard. You should at least put some live sand into it to get beneficial bacteria. The sand from your freshwater tank is full of fw bacteria. They will die in first day and that will be problematic.

What fish are you planning anyway? Some rocks would really be beneficial.

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
It would definitly be hard. You should at least put some live sand into it to get beneficial bacteria. The sand from your freshwater tank is full of fw bacteria. They will die in first day and that will be problematic.

What fish are you planning anyway? Some rocks would really be beneficial.
Just 1 stingray and a Shark, and I want them to have as much space as possible. Thats why I don't want any live rock. And can't I just cycle it for like 2-3 weeks with just damsels? and the beneficial bacteria will grow onto the sand.

Akuma

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2013
Kyoto/Japan
I doubt that will work. The water parameters will spike when you add the sand you used in the freshwater tank. All the bacteria will die. You should at least add much live sand.

MermaidMan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2013
Cali
I doubt that will work. The water parameters will spike when you add the sand you used in the freshwater tank. All the bacteria will die. You should at least add much live sand.
But how would it spike if you said the fw bacteria is just going to die anyways

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store