Blackie died today...

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
So I have been deployed for half a year now and my wife has been taking care of my tanks. Let me just say she loves my fish but the hobby part of taking care of them shes not fond of and I have always done this. So she messages me on facebook today and says please dont me mad I'm already crying, so I'm thinking of so much worse but then she tells me that my female leo died. Also about 3 months ago one of my 8 in ITs died.

So now I'm halfway through this and I'm worried about the rest making it through, I've already lost a grand in fish and I'm wondering how much more will be lost. The mantillas are cheaper but seem to be harder to find for sale than leos, and my motoro has some crazy spotting that I dont ever see, especially in the for sale section.

So question is would you sell off the fish? wife doesnt want too have people come over or try to ship so shes not really up for selling but the thought has crossed my mind.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
When your hobby becomes a burden on someone else and your concerned about their care, I would say yes sell.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
See thats what I'm thinking, I'd have to restock and start over when I get back home but might make things better till then. At least downgrade to maybe just 1 motoro and 1 mantilla with the pbass and dats and other mantilla sold and gone.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Dang very sorry to hear.

Any other mfkers live close to you that could help out? Otherwise i would say sell also...

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
None that I know of but someone just brought something to my attention and thats paying someone to come in and set up an autodrip system for my tank. I would rather fork out the money all day then get rid of my rays.

jim barry

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2006
U.K
None that I know of but someone just brought something to my attention and thats paying someone to come in and set up an autodrip system for my tank. I would rather fork out the money all day then get rid of my rays.
Gutted for your loss mate. Can't be good to loose fish, especially rays. If money is to hand and you love your rays i would not hesitate in setting up an auto drip. Once fitted ou won't look back.

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
I'm definitely going to now, talked to the wife and of course she loves the idea. Just need to get someone in central my to build and set one up properly for me. I have no problems paying someone and don't necessarily want just a regular plumber doing it but a fish guy who's done what I need before

Sent from my Nexus 10 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
whehn i lost both of my legs i had to pay a shop guy to do weekly water changes and basic care it cost lots of money but i knew it wasnt for long

i think you need to think how long it will be until you can take care of them again then make up your mind

mscamp02

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2011
Mt. Sterling KY
whehn i lost both of my legs i had to pay a shop guy to do weekly water changes and basic care it cost lots of money but i knew it wasnt for long

i think you need to think how long it will be until you can take care of them again then make up your mind
Long term for the health of the rays an autodrip just makes sense anyways.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what something like this would cost for a 300gallon tank

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
First question is do you have a drain near by or a drain pipe near the tank? Then do you have a sink or other water lines near the tank? Also are you running a sump and what is it made out of? You will need to decide if your going to drill your sump to drain the water out. That also takes a little work. They are cheap to setup but tapping into the sewer and water lines takes the most work of it all and drilling your sump or tank to make an overflow.

Long term for the health of the rays an autodrip just makes sense anyways.

Can anyone give me a ballpark figure of what something like this would cost for a 300gallon tank

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store