Arowanas swimming sideways

7napoleon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2013
United States
One of my arowana start to swim sideways.... I was gonna took a picture to show it, but it just tilt a little, cannot show a picture... Anyway, one of my baby silver aros swim sideways, it tilt to right side, and I found that the right eye is a little drop eye, too. I mean it's just a baby aros, and I mainly feed them sticks and dry krill, how come have drop eyes. Other baby silver aros in the tank is fine, only one swim sideways, so lights possibly is not the cause.........
And because it only swim tilt to right side, so the drop eye possibly is the cause.
Anyone know how to cure it? Or exact cause of it? I only experience and heard of adults silver aros have this problem.

Water is 31 degree Celsius, and have already added salt inside.
Tank is fully cycled, dark brownish water (blackwater) condition (driftwood added).

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
WHAT! 31 degrees c is about 87 degrees F!!! LOWER THE TEMP FIRST! you should be around 80F max!!!! Have it around 78 degrees F which is about 26 degrees C. I know hotter water leads to a faster metabolism but if it isnt a asian aro you will have negitive side affects and will shorten your aros life span, please lower the temp to around 26C.

As for the swimming sideways, do you have lots of aeration? If so cut back on the aeration because its a swim balder problem. Cutting back on it will solve it but it may take a while.

For the drop eye, you maybe feeding to much. The drop eye causes are the following 1. Over feeding/Fatty Foods, 2. Genetics, 3. Reflections. Look at the top 3 reasons and read the fixes I post.

1. This is the most common, everyone wants a bigger fish which leads to feeding more. If you do feed to much limit back feeding. This theory which many have proven is that behind the eye is a fat sack which stores fat. When you feed to much this fat "sack" gets bigger pushing the eye down. Starving/fasting the aro will eliminate the drop eye.

2. As aros became more popular there are many bad breeders who inbred aros which cause drop eye. If this is the case cross your fingers that it will get better. There is no fix for genetics. Many people have said putting them in ponds will fix it within two weeks. So if you have a pond throw it in there! But if you dont, dont worry too much about it. Maybe it will go away on its own.

3. If it is reflections its a easy fix. Just get back grounds and maybe back grounds for the sides of the tank as well making sure you have the bottom covered too. As in rocks paint etc. But do it fast there is no time frame but refection can harm the fish permanently.

And to answer your question about why do they have drop eye if you only feed them pellets is simple. You're pellets have a HIGH HIGH fat contain. Try to switch one of their meals a day with market prawns which are simply uncooked market shrimp. Market shrimp is great for a stable diet.

Good luck.

Reactions: Droptopwop

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
The developing DE could be the reason for the sideways swimming. Providing a lengthy video would probably help in more people giving opinions. When you don't give much info, you can't expect much is return as far as responses go.

How big is this "baby aro", generally de doesn't develop until the aro are 8-10" So there could be another issue that you are mis identifying as DE. Again posting pics and videos could help out.

WHAT! 31 degrees c is about 87 degrees F!!! LOWER THE TEMP FIRST! you should be around 80F max!!!! Have it around 78 degrees F which is about 26 degrees C. I know hotter water leads to a faster metabolism but if it isnt a asian aro you will have negitive side affects and will shorten your aros life span, please lower the temp to around 26C.

As for the swimming sideways, do you have lots of aeration? If so cut back on the aeration because its a swim balder problem. Cutting back on it will solve it but it may take a while.

For the drop eye, you maybe feeding to much. The drop eye causes are the following 1. Over feeding/Fatty Foods, 2. Genetics, 3. Reflections. Look at the top 3 reasons and read the fixes I post.

1. This is the most common, everyone wants a bigger fish which leads to feeding more. If you do feed to much limit back feeding. This theory which many have proven is that behind the eye is a fat sack which stores fat. When you feed to much this fat "sack" gets bigger pushing the eye down. Starving/fasting the aro will eliminate the drop eye.

2. As aros became more popular there are many bad breeders who inbred aros which cause drop eye. If this is the case cross your fingers that it will get better. There is no fix for genetics. Many people have said putting them in ponds will fix it within two weeks. So if you have a pond throw it in there! But if you dont, dont worry too much about it. Maybe it will go away on its own.

3. If it is reflections its a easy fix. Just get back grounds and maybe back grounds for the sides of the tank as well making sure you have the bottom covered too. As in rocks paint etc. But do it fast there is no time frame but refection can harm the fish permanently.

And to answer your question about why do they have drop eye if you only feed them pellets is simple. You're pellets have a HIGH HIGH fat contain. Try to switch one of their meals a day with market prawns which are simply uncooked market shrimp. Market shrimp is great for a stable diet.

Good luck.
Really? Sounds like three most common myths. Near all large silver(24"+) have DE. So with your claims all silver are impropperly fed? Even wild caught silvers raised in tanks develop DE so what's this have to say about the inbreeding cause? Reflections aren't there, just take a look from the proper perspective. No reflection from the bottom glass when you look in though the top of the tank. Just as the reflections from the side glass don't exsist when you look in from the end of the tank. Even if placed in a tank of mirrors, why would the aro seeing itself make it develop DE?

Koji

Piranha
MFK Member
May 7, 2005
Singapore
Switch off the light above the tank and observe again. If it start to swim straight after switching off the light then it mean the position of the light is causing the fish to swim side way. Then shift the light above so that the fish won't get affected.

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
The developing DE could be the reason for the sideways swimming. Providing a lengthy video would probably help in more people giving opinions. When you don't give much info, you can't expect much is return as far as responses go.

How big is this "baby aro", generally de doesn't develop until the aro are 8-10" So there could be another issue that you are mis identifying as DE. Again posting pics and videos could help out.

Really? Sounds like three most common myths. Near all large silver(24"+) have DE. So with your claims all silver are impropperly fed? Even wild caught silvers raised in tanks develop DE so what's this have to say about the inbreeding cause? Reflections aren't there, just take a look from the proper perspective. No reflection from the bottom glass when you look in though the top of the tank. Just as the reflections from the side glass don't exsist when you look in from the end of the tank. Even if placed in a tank of mirrors, why would the aro seeing itself make it develop DE?
Its just what I have noticed and the "Fixes" that I have experienced and noticed. If you wana argue the cause and cure for drop eye get off this thread. Its pointless. So if you have some helpful advice then please explain yourself. There's no known cure for drop eye and people have proven all three of the myths i have posted. But yet, it is still a myth as it wont work for everyone. Maybe it will maybe it wont, who the heck are you to say it wont?

Edit: I have never said everyone feeds their aro improperly. Maybe you should read. I said its because of over feeding. Replacing one of the pellet meals with shrimp should help lean the aro out. Maybe you should read? Or actually try to comprehend what is written?

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Edit: I have never said everyone feeds their aro improperly. Maybe you should read. I said its because of over feeding. Replacing one of the pellet meals with shrimp should help lean the aro out. Maybe you should read? Or actually try to comprehend what is written?
No you didn't. Try to coprehend what you are reading. Think most would agree that "Over feeding/Fatty Foods," would be improper feeding because it sure isn't proper, right? Now if this is your number one cause of DE as you claim and all silvers kept in tanks develop DE, well then they must be over fed or fed "Fatty Foods".

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
No you didn't. Try to coprehend what you are reading. Think most would agree that "Over feeding/Fatty Foods," would be improper feeding because it sure isn't proper, right? Now if this is your number one cause of DE as you claim and all silvers kept in tanks develop DE, well then they must be over fed or fed "Fatty Foods".
"Comprehend" this, OVER FEEDING. Over feeding means an excess of food which leads to their fat sack behind their eye to push the eye down. You can't even spell comprehend.. What is coprehend? And nice run on sentences you have going on. Maybe you should focus on you're grammar. Those are my opinions of what causes drop eyes. And like I said if you want to argue the cause of drop eye then gtfo. No one knows and I'm lending helpful option that have been proven to work in some cases. So unless you have the cure stop posting when your grammar is as poor as your knowledge.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
"Comprehend" this, OVER FEEDING. Over feeding means an excess of food which leads to their fat sack behind their eye to push the eye down. You can't even spell comprehend.. What is coprehend? And nice run on sentences you have going on. Maybe you should focus on you're grammar. Those are my opinions of what causes drop eyes. And like I said if you want to argue the cause of drop eye then gtfo. No one knows and I'm lending helpful option that have been proven to work in some cases. So unless you have the cure stop posting when your grammar is as poor as your knowledge.
seriously guys? focusing on grammar now? brilliant way to help this guy out. From my research it seems DE has no KNOWN/CONFIRMED cause so realistically, all suggestions are plausible (to an extent) I agree that the over feeding aspect seems ridiculous simply because in the wild there will be periods in which the aro can gorge itself and DE doesn't seem to arise then.. from what I can tell it seems itll probably be the light or potentially genetics as none of your other aros seem effected. Your temp is definitely too high though.
Hope this helps and the aro improves,
Peace,

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
seriously guys? focusing on grammar now? brilliant way to help this guy out. From my research it seems DE has no KNOWN/CONFIRMED cause so realistically, all suggestions are plausible (to an extent) I agree that the over feeding aspect seems ridiculous simply because in the wild there will be periods in which the aro can gorge itself and DE doesn't seem to arise then.. from what I can tell it seems itll probably be the light or potentially genetics as none of your other aros seem effected. Your temp is definitely too high though.
Hope this helps and the aro improves,
Peace,

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I'm just amazed how someone can tell me what I said and twist it to then tell me to comprehend what I'm reading.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store