New to Arowanas - Need suggestions / help

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
So I've been keeping peacock bass for quite some time and would like to get myself an Arowana or two to grow out.

I am curious on what a good breed would be that is not too aggressive and can get along with larger peacock bass (of course when the aro is up to size) and larger oscars. Seems to me that Jardini's are aggressive? Is there a difference in Jardini and Silver? Any temperment issues I should know about?

The grow out tanks consist of a 60 gallon for the juvie stage, a 120 gallon for the medium stage, then a 1100 gallon pool as the final resting spot so we have plenty of space for them as they grow.

Any tips and suggestions are appreciated!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Living in FLA unfortunatly for you the only aro that is not restricted in the silver arowana. Large silvers go fine with pbass. Growout is fine just try to upgrade to a larger tank before the aro is over 1/3 the length of the tank. Extremme jumpers at all sizes, need to keep tank lids sealed and secured. Also may consider that with the pond, but don't think they are as likely to jump out of a pond.

itsKRUDD

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2012
Jacksonville, FL
Living in FLA unfortunatly for you the only aro that is not restricted in the silver arowana. Large silvers go fine with pbass. Growout is fine just try to upgrade to a larger tank before the aro is over 1/3 the length of the tank. Extremme jumpers at all sizes, need to keep tank lids sealed and secured. Also may consider that with the pond, but don't think they are as likely to jump out of a pond.
Interesting, I had no idea we were limited on the types. Any idea why?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Interesting, I had no idea we were limited on the types. Any idea why?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Sorry have no idea or information as to why. Most likely it has to do with all the invasive species issues that your state is experiencing.

monsterfishdude

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2013
Canada
But cant silvers be invasive to?

I rather have Asian aro in waterways instead of silvers ahaha

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Silvers and asians work well with bass jardini is a gamble its not impossible all depends on the individual fish as they are the most aggressive species of aro its not a safe bet at all , you may have a chance if you buy them all small and grow them up together but even then you'll prob loose a fish or two from either stress caused by the jar or attacks as it gets bigger (don't get me wrong bass are hardy fish but not when young), imo silvers work best with bass but you need lots of space to go with them , and perhaps as someone mentioned above eventually a tropical pond or very big tank

azura

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2011
Aros World
i suggest big silver ... they are calm in manners and not invasive

US banned asian aro to enter coz they are in the appendix A list of CITES list which is nearly or extincted in wild

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store