I'm a little confused. .

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
So as most of you know, I'm building a 7x3x2 (LxWxH)240g tank... the middle and bottom will be pretty full but the top empty. I've become pretty much obsessed with black aros and some people say I could keep one in this tank.. others disagree. What are your opinions?

Sent from my GT-I9305 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

monsterfishdude

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2013
Canada
Why not an Asian aro? I don't know if there legal in London tho

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
you could get a black aro and it will be fine for a very long time but at some point you should up grade, if you have the chance why not get an asian aro?

Owens

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2012
Southern Maryland
Your black Aro would be better off than most.

I doubt it would surpass 36", I would have no issues with any kind of aro in a 36" wide tank.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Well I told you a while back to get three black aros. Same thing is going to apply though, once the aro gets to be 30" long you may find your tank a little short. That'll be a few years down the road, when that time comes you can then decide to get rid of the aro or upgrade, or maybe you'll just decide to leave as is.

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
Well I told you a while back to get three black aros. Same thing is going to apply though, once the aro gets to be 30" long you may find your tank a little short. That'll be a few years down the road, when that time comes you can then decide to get rid of the aro or upgrade, or maybe you'll just decide to leave as is.
^this man knows what he is talking about!

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
Why not an Asian aro? I don't know if there legal in London tho
you could get a black aro and it will be fine for a very long time but at some point you should up grade, if you have the chance why not get an asian aro?
Your black Aro would be better off than most.

I doubt it would surpass 36", I would have no issues with any kind of aro in a 36" wide tank.

Sent from my VS840 4G using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
^this man knows what he is talking about!
honestly, call me crazy but I really like the appearance of black aros. As for the aspect of 3 blacks.. that sounds freaking awesome :D. thanks guys. I remember what you said bderick but I think I just needed some reconfirmation. As for the necessary upgrade in a couple years. How big would you say? I'll have to upgrade anyway as I'll have an Achara Catfish

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
You're not crazy, asian aros are legal here too but I'll take a black any day!! Their serpentine swimming motion is what attracted me to arowana as a young school kid standing hypnotised in front of a tank at the LFS watching this crazy looking fish that was apparently going to grow to a metre long...

I agree with Brian completely, your 7x3' footprint is probably far better than most arowana get and you'll be able to happily keep a black [or asian] happily in there for many years. As for the upgrade, it really depends on your other fish. The 3' width will probably be adequate for life for a black, though 4' would be better. 8' length might be a little short in the long run and 10' would certainly be better if you're going big.

xApostle

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 4, 2013
London
You're not crazy, asian aros are legal here too but I'll take a black any day!! Their serpentine swimming motion is what attracted me to arowana as a young school kid standing hypnotised in front of a tank at the LFS watching this crazy looking fish that was apparently going to grow to a metre long...

I agree with Brian completely, your 7x3' footprint is probably far better than most arowana get and you'll be able to happily keep a black [or asian] happily in there for many years. As for the upgrade, it really depends on your other fish. The 3' width will probably be adequate for life for a black, though 4' would be better. 8' length might be a little short in the long run and 10' would certainly be better if you're going big.
ahh that's great. glad someone agrees with me. Honestly, my next tank will probably be 12x5x3 or 10x4x3

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store