HybridHerp's 75 gallon Planted Monster Tank

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/f...idHerp-s-75-gallon-Planted-Monster-Tank/page2

I am continuing this thread in the general discussion area, as it gets more traffic and this tank has a lot of different components to it. This shall be a bit of a re-cap.

This tank has been up and running for over 7 years, but this iteration, doing well with plants, is but a year old, and only a few months on the plants ACTUALLY DOING WELL (selling an endli I had for like ever helped with that a lot, thanks f22).

This tank, in many ways, is the combination of everything I know about fish keeping. It has fish of all kinds, plants like you wouldn't believe, and care like you wouldn't imagine. Now, I know most on MFK do not care about plants, and that's fine, but I want to make a point with this tank, and that is that planted tanks can still having amazing scapes and plants, AND amazing fish. Things you might not have tried or thought possible.

Anyways, I'm going to go back in time a bit, and show in pictures where this started, right after I re-homed my endli. But first, lets give the specs on this tank.

I'm running two eheim 2217's, great filters and love them to death. On top of that, for added water circulation, I have a korelia 750, important for being a planted tank of this size. Because this is a planted tank, I'm using Eco Complete.....more of it than I care to say, but the substrate is 3-4 inches deep all around. Normally, had this tank not been set up prior to being planted, I'd have used a combination of organic potting soil capped with sand.....but whatever. I supplement the substrate with gro-soil and bro-humate tabs, and osmocote+ capsules. I do dry dose ferts, using the EI method. I'm still tweeking the exact amounts, but atm its just standard EI with some added KSO4 and GH Booster, also some added Iron....although I might phase that out since more iron=/=more reds. Its a myth my friends, a myth. Color is all due to light and good nutrients.

Speaking of which, my light is a t5-ho 4 bulb 54 watt Catalina fixture, with 2 bulbs on for 8 hours and the other two on for 4 hours in the middle of the 8 hour period. I'm still playing with my lighting periods though. Watts don't really matter, its the type of fixture and the reflectors that determine light intensity. Btw, this fixture has LED moonlights.....which is pretty nice :p This fixture puts me at high lighting, which means, I need to assist plant growth with added co2. And there is only one way to do that in a tank this size that makes sense.....

Dual stage co2 regulator and a 20lb co2 tank. Being fed into a Green Leaf Aquatics in line co2 atomizer. Basically meaning, super fine co2 bubbles are put out from my eheim.

But, because I had it and as a precaution, I have a big old air pump attached to two airstones in this tank....just for the evening to be sure that there is enough O2 in the tank. The korelia and the filter outtakes create some rippling at the surface as well, to keep oxygen in the water during the day. The co2 is on a timer and goes off half an hour before the lights go out, as it would be a waste of co2 otherwise.

I have an inline eheim heater, set to 76, as that is warm enough for the fish to be healthy, without being too warm for some of the plants.

Decor is 6 pieces of Malaysian Driftwood, and some Rainbow Rocks.

Anyways, on to the pictures.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
7/11/13 - First day of new tank.

This little guy is a T. ellioti that I got from f22. He owns Route 4 aquarium in New Jersey, and it was worth the trip, as I scored a lot of nice fish, and got to re-home my Endli. At this point, the little cichlid was being kept in a 10, until I was sure he was big enough to be in the 75. He has fantastic coloring and I had never seen one in person before, so I was super stocked to grab this guy.

Here is the tank as of that day. Once I am done posting up pictures from the past few weeks, I will post up the current list of inhabitants in the tank. For now, see if you can guess what things are if I don't mention them :p

This is a nice plant. Blyxa japonica. Its actually a stem plant, gets reddish leafs in high light, and grows nice bushes. As you can see, I have a lot of it, and its always growing.

The yellow plant is Yellow Nessea. Its pretty, and I don't see it used enough in planted tanks.

Subwerstang, a pretty little moss like algae, it is difficult to keep tied down though, so over time these rocks and wood pieces have lost some of this. However, as long as some remains, it should grow back and turn nice and bushy for me.

Various cryptocryne species live in this part of the tank. As well as a small rose sword. I had to cut off a lot of the leafs later on, but it is now growing back faster because of it. My crypts are slowly starting to fill in as well.

My lace plant....its not as bright now, but thats because it hates this heat going on, as well as the fact that it needs to adjust to this tank as opposed to its last tank, a meager 10 gallon I had it growing out in. I have to remember to keep it buried enough in the substrate to stay put, but not completely bury it as that kills this plant off.

Australian Rainbow Fish. A good sized shoaling fish that also gets some nice colors. They are still coloring up, and are only getting better with each day.

A female Heckelii. Yes, I keep a pair, a pair of these, in this planted tank filled with stem plants. And so far.....its all good. And it will continue to be good, as these fish are well behaved. I cannot wait for them to continue to color up, as they are an impressive fish.

A pair of rainbow cichlids have been in this tank for over a year, and they can range in color from this to dull brown, depending on their mood. A very interesting and under rated cichlid.

My profile pic, the male Heckelii. Both of these were from f22. Such pretty fish.

Although, its hard to beat the EBJD when it comes to pure color. Also from f22. Since plants can't be blue, a bright blue fish will look great amongst the bright greens, yellows, and reds.

I have a soft spot for ropes and bichirs. I want another rope fish, or a del at some point. More on that later.

He has been in this tank for 5 years at least. He isn't getting any bigger either, a solid 8 inches I'd say. And pretty thick for a sen. Really awesome fish to have. There is a retro in this tank as well, but he hides all the time. I think getting a del or another upper jaw that stays small might help bring him out, or perhaps another rope fish.

To prove that he exists.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
7/15/13

Added some leopard val into the mix, a variant of jungle val. Also, my male rainbow cichlid looking bright as hell. He was wanting to breed around this time, although he has now given up after the suspected female left him in the cold.

I know your feel bro, I know your feel.....

Unlike most planted tank people, I opted not to do bushy nose plecos (although....I have room...I still might....but meh). Ottos of course are too small for the fish I have. So I opted instead for two royal farlowellas. And unlike plecos....these guys are out in the open 24/7. They have their spots for sure, but they are content to just be sitting out in front. I am very happy with these guys.

This being about as close to "hiding" I have ever seen them get. They do blend in marvelously with the red and black eco complete though.

I had thrown a rainbow rock here since the male rainbow kept digging up the area. Nothing came of it though, but I'm keeping the rock there just for future sake. A lot of rainbow named things in this tank...not on purpose but its cool.

The start of my left side. I won't bore with the names of these right now, as more plants have been added to this area. But, when I post my current list, it also includes the placements of each and every plant. I'm thorough like that.

Just looking good here.

7/18/13

Added more plants. And some fish as well.

Rotala sp. vietnam. I had to trim it once so far...whacked it in half. It should get nice and colorful for me soon.

Added more to this area. Can you guess what's here?

This plant is so pretty, I've gotta let it keep staying this way for me.

This is the best I was getting at taking a pic of these guys all at once. Congo tetras are so handsome with their whites and blues. Very fitting for this tank.

My rainbows cichlids at it, with other fish hanging around.

This is a banana plant. This is about two years old now I'd say. They are NOT small plants.

This is their spot, right out in front. Right here. Its pretty awesome.

An interesting little sword. The green curly thing. Its a sword....wouldn't have guessed that right? Echinodorus angustifolia 'vesuvius'. Its pretty, and its growing well for me. Just waiting for it to continue filling in.

H. corymbosa, a monster of a plant, these are small now but given time, they will be to the top of the tank. They get reddish under higher lighting.

Group shot of the groups, or at least representatives of the groups. Congo Tetras, Australian Rainbows, and Pearl Gouramis are a mighty fine color, shape, and activity combination.

Cept my pearls have been through a lot, ammonia burns and 2 week long power outages....they are survivors though, and still pretty despite a few bad eyes.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
7/26/13: AKA Up to Date

My posting hand is tired now lol

Anyways, this is the current FTS. Its coming along, slowly, but surely. 90% done.

Rotala sp. 'Sunset'. This is hard to come by....very colorful plant. I hope it does well for me given its rarity.

Same with this....Echinodorus sp. 'Aflame'. As it grows, the leafs become a dark red wine, almost black color. My favorite sword plant ever. Google it, you owe it to yourself.

The little green plant you see is called Monte Carlo....think of it as dwarf baby tears that doesn't lift off the substrate and has a little more oompf. But still, I'm basically growing a harder to find version of dwarf baby tears (called HC) with cichlids.....I am crazy, and yet, also possibly a genius.

Rotala macrandra 'Japan Red'. When this gets its full color for me....its going to be awesome.

The green triangle leafs are Anubias hastifolia. Even though anubias are considered easy plants, they are still pretty and will always have a place in my tanks.

The crypts are comming back and filling in slowly.

And this is Cryptocoryne nurii....perhaps my favorite crypt species.

And perhaps my favorite lotus, Nymphaea micrantha....it is under rated and not seen often enough.

Red Tiger Lotus is nice, and the most common lotus plant.

The T. ellioti made it into this tank when I realized he was the same size as a congo tetra. He is out and about, front and center, and is a lovely little cichlid in here.

Australian Rainbows are still pretty too.

Still looking good. On the wood below the fish, is anubias petite, and a single plant that may be petite, or may be micro....an even smaller variation. I want that piece of wood to be carpeted in small anubias....it will take a long time, but it will be worth the wait.

Worth the wait indeed....

Warning.....what is this? Well.....its in a grow out. Might not have been the best idea for me to nab but....it was small, and cheap, and its a very interesting fish indeed.....but will have to wait until next time :p

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Now, for the full stock list of animals and plants. This tank is not yet complete.....but truly, what tank ever is?

Current Fish/Inverts
· Herotilapia multispinosa – “Rainbow Cichlid” x2
· Acarichthys heckelii – “Threadfin Acara” x2
· Rocio octofasciata – “Electric Blue Jack Dempsey”
· Thorichthys ellioti – “Ellioti Cichlid”
· Trichopodus leerii – “Pearl Gourami” x3:3
· Melanotaenia australis – “Australian Rainbow fish” x5
· Phenacogrammus interruptus - “Congo Tetra” x6
· Polypterus senegalus – “Senegal Bichir”
· Polypterus retropinnis
· Erpetoichthys calabaricus – “Rope fish”
· Sturisoma panamense– “Royal Farlowella” x2
· Melanoides tuberculata - “Trumpet Snail”

Plants
  • Current
    • Bottom
      • Rotala Mexicana var. 'Goias'
        • Partial carpet between R. sp. ‘Vietnam’ and S. repens
      • Staurogyne repens
        • Partial carpet
      • Micrantherum umbrosum var. ‘Monte Carlo’
        • Partial carpet in front of S. repens
      • Hygrophila sp. ‘Araguaia’
        • Partial carpet to the right of S. repens
    • Foreground

• Eichhornia diversifolia
    • In front of Wood #1
  • Hygrophila pinnatifida
    • In front of Wood #1
  • Blyxa japonica
    • In front of Wood #1 and #2
  • Nesaea pedicellata – “Yellow Nesaea”
    • In front of N. aquatic
  • Littorella uniflora
    • Edge of crypt ring
  • Cryptocoryne parva
    • Edge of crypt ring
  • Cryptocoryne nurii
    • Crypt ring
  • Cryptocoryne sp. ‘Green Gecko’
    • Crypt ring
Mid-Ground​

• Echinodorus sp. ‘Rose’
    • Middle of crypt ring
  • Limnophia aromatica
    • Right next to crypt ring
  • Nymphaea micrantha
    • Near crypt ring
  • Rotala macrandra var. ‘Japan Red’
    • In front of Wood #4
  • Rotala sp. ‘Vietnam’
    • Behind R. macrandra var. ‘Japan Red’
  • Nymphoides aquatic – “Banana Plant”
    • In front of right side of Wood #4
    • Keep trimmed when leafs get too tall or too wide
  • Nymphaea stellata – “Dwarf Lilly”
    • On top of N. aquatic
  • Echinodorus angustifolia ‘Vesuvius’
    • In front of N. aquatic
  • Hygrophila polysperma var. ‘Sunset’
    • In front of H. sp. ‘Brown’
  • Rotala sp. ‘Sunset’
    • In front of Wood #2
  • Echinodorus sp. ‘Aflame’
    • In front of R. sp. ‘Sunset’
  • Nymphaea zenkeri – “Red Tiger Lotus”
    • In front of the gap of Wood #2
  • Didiplis diandra
    • In front of Ludwigia senegalensis
Background​

• Vallisneria sp. ‘Leopard’
    • Behind Wood #6
  • Alternanthera reineckii var. ‘Rosaefolia’
    • Back right corner
  • Ammania gracilis
    • Next to A. reineckii
  • Cryptocoryne crispatula var. flaccidifolia
    • Allow to grow around back of crypt ring
  • Cryptocoryne usteriana
    • Keep in back of crypt circle
  • Cryptocoryne sp. Wendtii Hybrid
    • Said to grow tall
    • If so, use to frame crypt sp. group
  • Pogostemon stellatus var. 'Broad Leaf'
    • In between H. corymbosa and A. reineckii
  • Hygrophila corymbosa – “Giant Temple”
    • Bordering back right of Wood #4
    • Trim compact
  • Hygrophila corymbosa – “Kompact”
    • Same as other variant
  • Rotala sp. ‘Bangladesh’
    • In between H. corymbosa and C. furcata
  • Cabomba furcata – “Red Cabomba”
    • Behind Wood #4, in-between A. madagascariensis and R. sp. ‘Bangladesh’
  • Aponogeton madagascariensis – “Lace Leaf”
    • Behind N. aquatic
  • Hygrophila sp. ‘Brown’
    • Around A. madagascariensis
  • Proserpinaca palustris – “Mermaid Weed”
    • In the gap of Wood #2
  • Crinum calamistratum
    • Behind Wood #1 and in front of Wood #3
  • Hydrotriche hottoniiflora
    • Keep to the right of Ludwigia forest
  • Ludwigia sp. ‘Rubin’
    • Back right of Ludwigia forest
  • Ludwigia glandulosa
    • Back left of Ludwigia forest
    • Emersed form currently, converting
  • Ludwigia sp. ‘Atlantis’
    • In front of L. sp. ‘Rubin’ and L. glandulosa
  • Ludwigia inclinata var. ‘Cuba’
    • In front of L. sp. ‘Atlantis’
  • Ludwigia inclinata var. 'Tornado'
    • In front of L. inclinata var. ‘Cuba’
Non-Substrate​

• Surface
    • None
  • Hardscape
    • Wood #1
      • Anubias barteri var. ‘Petite’
        • Allow to carpet wood
      • Anubias barteri var. ‘Micro’
        • Allow to carpet wood
    • Wood #2
      • Microsorum pteropus var. ‘Windelov’
        • Allow to carpet top of wood
      • Fissidens fontanus – Mini Fissidens
        • Allow to cover wood
    • Wood #3
      • Microsorum pteropus var. ‘Trident’
        • Allow to carpet bottom of wood
        • Allow to cover wood
    • Wood #4
      • Anubias barteri var. ‘Nana’
        • On wood
      • Anubias barteri var. ‘Broad-Leaf’
        • On wood
      • Anubias barteri var. ‘Coffeefolia’
        • On wood
      • Anubias hastifolia
        • On wood
    • Wood #5
      • Bolbitis heudelotii var. ‘Mini’ – “Mini African Fern”
        • Allow to cover wood
        • Allow to cover wood
    • Wood #6
      • Lagenandra meeboldii ‘Pink’
        • Let it grow more compact
        • Let it grow huge
      • Taxiphyllum sp. ‘Taiwan’
        • Might replace with something else
    • Stones
      • Lomariopsis sp. ‘Subwassertang’
        • Allow to form a nice layer on stones and wood
        • Spread throughout foreground as an accent

vanman

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2011
Woodinville WA
I have all planted tanks and a raparium. I do not post pictures as most here seem to not be interested. Your pictures and story are very nice. Thanks. If the cichlids spawn they are going to do some digging. You new ghost knife will hunt down the eggs though. Rainbows are not found in nature with cichlids but they actually make good dither fish and target fish when you are only keeping a few cichlids. Planted tanks make some types of fish more comfortable and act more natural. Sub-straights provide homes for beneficial bacteria With large predatory fish the sub straights can be stirred up so much that it is a problem. I do not keep the large predatory currently. I had a large platinum arrowana for 15 years. It was perfect. When it passed I moved on to discus in that tank and now it houses rare species like a school of Red Balla Shark, Cyclocheilichthys janthochir, and a school of Cherry Red Congo tetras Phenacogrammus sp. and the like in a fully planted tank.

HybridHerp

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 18, 2012
New York
Yah, I'm not super worried about the possible periodic digging, plus, plants should be in pretty well before that becomes a worry.

The baby bgk is still super small, he won't be getting into this tank for a long, long time. Although truthfully, if I find a brown ghost knife, I might get that in stead, since they stay smaller and are more appropriate for a 75 for life. In the event the bgk needs to e rehomed, I'm sure that it would be easy to do, or that I'd know a guy or something.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Woodshop

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2013
Wisconson
Nice planted tank!

I have a similar co2 setup running that switches to o2 at night.

Have you gotten the plants to perl yet?
I love watching mine perl, makes me happy seeing them do that cause i know there won't be any o2 shortage that way.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store