240 Gallon Stand - 8 x 2 x 2

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
So I finally got around to starting my stand for my new tank. Haven't bought the tank yet, but will in the next couple of months. That gives me time to plan the stand and build it properly. For the design I copied the plans of Uarujoey on you tube (link here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jN4Y9AYuwcQ) and just added a bit more support in the middle. Here's some pics of my progress

Now I plan to put the cabinet doors on and build some removable ends. Once I have the tank I will build a custom hood as well. Total cost so far is $100 and it has taken me about 8 hours to get this much done. Feedback welcomed.

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I am impressed. Looks clean and plenty strong. And pretty darn level....how long did it take you to pick out all the lumber?

Are you going to add a top (like 1/4-1/2" plywood)? I don't know if need it, but I'm curious on your ideas.

Do you plan to add any more lateral support? Again, it looks pretty good as is, but what do you think?

Do you have any plans to water seal the wood or do any sort of other treatments to the wood? If so, what? If not, will there be paneling (cabinet facing/doors) covering most of it?

I'm really looking forward to seeing the custom hood.

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Thanks Drstrangelove. The wood I got from a big chain hardware store (Bunnings). I knew what I needed before hand. I used 14 x 2.4m lengths. Was very simple.

Not planning on adding a plywood top, and may still add more lateral support. I think it's fine like it is though. I had a look at my store bought six foot stand and that's no where near as solid compared to my build.

Planning to leave it open at the back, but completely close in the front and sides. Front will have 3 sets of doors on it. I plan to paint it all white so it blends in to the walls of my house. It will look like the tank is floating if I do it right.

Thinking about using a couple of 150w metal halide shop fitters for lighting in the custom hood. I know it's old school but I love the shimmering effect they create. Had one on my 3ft marine tank and it looked awesome.

808_fairladyz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Hilo, Hawaii
Nice. I used the same design as yours for my 430 gal plywood aquarium without any problems at all. the design i used was actully one that I seen on Uaru Joey's You tube channel. Nice stand though.

josh89

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2008
australia
Looks good mate! Always satisfying doing your own work. What do you plan on stocking the tank with?

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
Thanks Drstrangelove. The wood I got from a big chain hardware store (Bunnings). I knew what I needed before hand. I used 14 x 2.4m lengths. Was very simple.

Not planning on adding a plywood top, and may still add more lateral support. I think it's fine like it is though. I had a look at my store bought six foot stand and that's no where near as solid compared to my build.

Planning to leave it open at the back, but completely close in the front and sides. Front will have 3 sets of doors on it. I plan to paint it all white so it blends in to the walls of my house. It will look like the tank is floating if I do it right.

Thinking about using a couple of 150w metal halide shop fitters for lighting in the custom hood. I know it's old school but I love the shimmering effect they create. Had one on my 3ft marine tank and it looked awesome.
Thanks for the replies. I like your lighting choice.

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Looks good mate! Always satisfying doing your own work. What do you plan on stocking the tank with?

Sent from my C6603 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
Thanks. For stock, I have a couple of small red oscars, a pair of green terrors, and some pearl geo fry that I kept from my pair's last spawn. All are currently growing out in my 6 foot tank. Toying with the idea of adding some tinfoil barbs or bala sharks. Don't know yet

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
Nice job so far! What kind of wood did you use and does that $100 include the doors and paint? I used this same design for a 4ft 90g stand and I'm thinking about doing one for my 240 in the next few weeks. It should take 17-20 2x4x96's (depending on how the cuts work out) @ $2.50 each, for a total of around $50. So $100 seems kinda expensive for just the lumber unless you used something other than doug fir

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Nice job so far! What kind of wood did you use and does that $100 include the doors and paint? I used this same design for a 4ft 90g stand and I'm thinking about doing one for my 240 in the next few weeks. It should take 17-20 2x4x96's (depending on how the cuts work out) @ $2.50 each, for a total of around $50. So $100 seems kinda expensive for just the lumber unless you used something other than doug fir
I'm in Australia, so our prices are different. I checked my receipts and total cost for timber ( I used structural pine) was $65. Plus about $15 in screws. So $80 all up. That doesn't include the doors. I still think that's cheap compared to what aquarium shops charge for stands.

Plus I enjoy building. I just finished building a massive palace (kennel) for my great dane. We bought her a kids cubbyhouse, cause normal kennels were too small. She found it too cramped and wouldn't go in. So I built her a 5 foot high by 6 foot wide by 5 foot deep house. Spoiled pooch.

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
$65 sounds a lot more reasonable, I was thinking maybe you used redwood or got screwed on the price lol. Even if it was $100 that's definitely cheaper than a store bought stand and way stronger. And fun to build :) That huge doghouse sounds awesome! Do u have any pics? And what kind of facing are you gonna use on the front of the stand?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store