project black devil cat in a 300g community!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
hey all anyone that saw my thread yesterday will know i've got myself a 12 inch black devil catfish... i've been looking for one for ages and i've decided to try it in my community for a while against everybody's advice... for now at least, most of you who follow my threads will know i've always got/had risky combinations of fish and i'm hoping this works out for a while... if problems do arise i will take actions to protect the other fish, many are for sale inc the jag, dovii pair, african pike, convict (free), and the tsn and rtc i recently got given on aquarist-classifieds if anyones interested or pm me here, im in kent uk... the festae duo may be up for sale for the right price and the midas will soon be in a 120 with the smaller cats in my bedroom.

anyway, he's been in there since this time yesterday and there has been no aggression yet other than him attacking the magnet cleaner when i went near his cave, its so weird having a catfish do that!-) he's a great example and will be staying with me for the rest of his days in my 300 hopefully, ive read they more often than not they top out at 24 inch and arn't that active so i think that will be ideal with its 7x3 footprint. heres a few pics from him in his cave i'll try to get a few more and a video soon.

View attachment 935623DSC_1076.JPGView attachment 935625View attachment 935626

DSC_1076.JPG

Reactions: jordanlewis100

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Welcome to the fun of wyckii ownership. Thanks for this thread - it will be very useful.

As a side note, I was offered a 2.5' wyckii, captive raised.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
lol thanks dude, one incident so far, my 9 inch male dovii decided to entre THE CAVE lol... i only realised this when lots of banging happened then a dovii came flying out at 200mph in a cloud of catfish pellets i'd dropped in there, no damage to either and i had a little chuckle to myself... dont think mr dovii will be going back for seconds!-)

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Cool, that's a Hemibagrus wyckii. Haven't seen one in a lfs yet but I have seen the Trachycorystes trachycorystes.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
hey all, still no tragedys after night two... he was out swimming around when just my blue moonlight leds were on last night swimming amongst other fish including some that are much smaller so i think i'm ok for the moment, fingers crossed. i'm preparing for his territory to expand as he does however! eitherway the midas pair will be getting a tank for themselves soon once my tax returns in in the next few weeks. i will try to get some better pics tonight....

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
lol thanks dude, one incident so far, my 9 inch male dovii decided to entre THE CAVE lol... i only realised this when lots of banging happened then a dovii came flying out at 200mph in a cloud of catfish pellets i'd dropped in there, no damage to either and i had a little chuckle to myself... dont think mr dovii will be going back for seconds!-)
Yep. No one would dare to go inside my two wyckiis' clay pots in a 4000 gal. And when my top predator in the pond, 2.5' TSN, would approach the smallest wyckii (1') relaxing in the open and try to "taste/eat" him, the wyckii hit him so hard that the TSN would fly to the other side across the 25' pond.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
hey all time for an update although theres not much too say, theres been a death in the tank but not caused by the bd... my 10 inch african pike caused a massive wound on the side of my 5inch male convict and it was too much for him, he died after being quarantined and treated! the black devil however has tolerated some of the other cats in his cave for short periods before eviction!-) i could take more pics but he never leaves his cave, even with the led moonlights on he's reluctant... so i could video a fish sitting still but decided against it. i deopped a chunk of white fish in his cave lastnight and it was gone this morning but so was he so not sure if he's feeding as one of the others could've taken it. i re-arranged the tank today so he only has one cave larger enough to use so i can keep at eye on him!

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
sod it lol here's some more of him in his cave!-)DSC_1103.JPGDSC_1104.JPGDSC_1108.JPGDSC_1100.JPGDSC_1113.JPGDSC_1111.JPGDSC_1105.JPGDSC_1106.JPG

DSC_1103.JPG

DSC_1104.JPG

DSC_1108.JPG

DSC_1100.JPG

DSC_1113.JPG

DSC_1111.JPG

DSC_1105.JPG

DSC_1106.JPG

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com