stingrays in planted tank?

tattoochick

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2013
wisconsin
We are receiving our upgraged tank for our rays this week and are debating on putting live plants in it. Havent had the best luck in the past with aquarium plants but would love to try it again. What are your thoughts? Am I able to use the API root tabs with having stingrays....is the liquid plant food safe to use with the rays? Also, iv been reading about the upkeep of the plants and most places I research say to not have airstones running because it removes the CO2 in the water........my rays love their airbubbles and current. So, is it even likely that I will be able to have a planted tank with them? Thanks for any help

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
The rays will pretty much uproot any plants you plant in the substrate unfortunately. You could plant java fern, bolbitis and anubias on rockwork or driftwood, away from the bottom of the tank, and the rays might leave them alone. They're all low light and you wouldn't need the fertilizer tabs. You could still use the liquid fertilizer if you wanted, but it's probably not necessary. I think a heavily planted tank in the traditional sense probably won't work. We've tried it before and the rays caused mayhem.

snake8myelbo

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2008
ut
I would not use root tabs they would dig them up and possibly injest them. I wouldn't use any sort of ferts. :eek:

Sent from my LG-P999 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Why don't u just keep plants in a sump, away from the rays. That's what I do to keep my nitrates down.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

uploadfromtaptalk1375191760463.jpg

AncientFishArk

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2017
New York
This is another old fourm.

I have some plants work well with my marble motoro stingray, she seems to really like the plants. However I saw this coming, the plants are starting to die because of lack of fertilizer.

I felt the same about the tabs, I won't use them. I saw the flourish stuff however it has trace amounts of copper. To my knowledge I need to stay away from copper with the Ray correct?

I did get the aqueon plant food, liquid and it seems to be working well. But just wanted to hear some thoughts on the flourish. Need to get more the the aqueon, small bottles arnt cheap lol.

Reactions: zxmarekxz
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store