Water changes on city water?

Muni

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2009
Central Washington
I tried doing a search but as "water" and "changes" are such common words about about 300,000 hits.

I'm getting back into fish keeping and only have 1 small tank at the moment but would like to get some more large ones.

My issue is this is the first time I've ever been on city water. City water which may have chlorine or fluoride in it. It's a small town but I'll be checking and see if they doctor the water down here.

For those of you with large or multiple tanks that are on city water what is your best option to eliminate this without having to dechlorinate a bucket at a time? For regular large water changes that would be an incredible hassle.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Looks to me like the OP is asking for method and not product.

For those of you with large or multiple tanks that are on city water what is your best option to eliminate this without having to dechlorinate a bucket at a time? For regular large water changes that would be an incredible hassle.
Many people just dechlorinate the entire tank after adding water with a hose. I myself used to do this without issue. Though I now run my water into a trash can, dechlor it and then pump it into the tank.

Gill Blue

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2011
michigan
add the dechlor either before or as you add the correct temperature water to the tank. if you wait until after the tank is full, then your fish are swimming around in chlorinated water.

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
I use pond prime it is concentrated so you get a bang for your buck. I use 33 gallon rubermaid pale and add faucet attachment too the sink add my prime and salt then use a utility pump to pump into tank just be sure to secure hose so it dosent fall out of tank when you turn on pump and when you fill pail put threw handle so it dosent come out of pail this works out well because you can adjust the temperature as you fill the pail. It will change as you use up the water in the hot water tank. I usually have to wait 45 minutes when I run out of hot water doing my 420 gallon tanks make sure the pump is one that goes flush to bottom of pail and is self contained oil sealed in pump. You can get one from sears or Home Depot Ace hardware. Some people put the water right into there tanks and It works for them,but you never know what is going too come out of the tap.you also can take tank water out with pump and use pale when you vacuum tank and pump out pail

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I currently use city water for my changes and have no issues. I habitually add my water treatment as the water first starts entering the tank. The water enters the tank right over a pair of powerheads so I put my treatment in right there. Between the powerheads and the agitation from pumping the water in, the treatment disperses very well.

Moved to setup and filtration.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Because I change about 300 gallons every other day with a city water supply that has approx 1.0-1.5mg/L chloramine, I mix my own sodium thiosulfate.
I add about 10mls of the mix per 100 gallons, as the city water enters my sump.
A bucket of dry sodium thiosulfate lasts about 10 years.
You should be able to google your city name with "water quality report" after it to find out what is in your water, all water suppliers are under EPA regulations to do so.
Fluoride is a non-issue, unless you want to keep fish that live in pure rain water. Lake Michigan (where my water supplier gets its supply)has a natural fluoride concentration of approx 0.11mg/L, and the water company adds enough to bring it up to a 1.00-1.50mg/L concentration, I have been using the city water on my fish with only chlorine neutralization of the above method for over 50 years.

Conlin2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2011
Altamonte Springs,Fl.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store