Transferring Tanks – HUGE rays

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
I’m just after some thoughts on how best to move big rays from one tank to another. Just changing tanks, not moving in far locations. My big girls is about 2ft across and is a bit heavy to lift. I have a big net but still I can’t fit it there. Any suggestion on ways to move to lessen stress and injury – barb.

gangster

Arapaima
MFK Member
Apr 17, 2008
mountains
YOu guys say watch that barb....well thats a duh.
But how? DO you hold its tail once netted?
Excuse my ignorance but I dont own rays and was always fascinated by those who can avoid that harmful sting.

vamptrev

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
Chesterfield MI
Even with a 2 foot handle on my net, their tail can get seriously close to your hands still. Alot more dangerous then netting a little dude

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
I would go for rubbermaid, scare her a little so she burries, then scoup the rubbermaid easy under her. Done this a few times on big rays, and they seem to stay calm.. I also neted a 50cm ray, was a hassle for sure.

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Did it. Used a bucket container large enough to scoop her out. Bought welders gloves and apron as protection as well. Also wrapped my arms with jeans to be sure. Ive transferred old water to new tank so it was just straight transfer.

It would be good to have a buddy to do this, it was a struggle doing it alone. I think it weight close to 10kgs with some water on the bucket.

calgaryflames

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 10, 2009
calgary
Get a cradle .they use them for fishing in situations when it's fragile fish . They are designed to not harm the fish.
You could make one also very easy

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store