I'm looking at your soul
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2013
in the Living Water
So there's a site which sells arapaima, said on the title:

Arapaima gigas var. “Axanthic” aka Panda Arapaima

Panda Arapaima...

Any info regarding this monster?
Is it just like your regular Arapaima? Or something is special with this one?
I rather ask people who knows monsters first before I go and tally up information for the said fish.

Thanks in advance!
E.C.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Pictures would be nice. Axanthic is a color morph. I've seen people claiming to sell "Leucistic" or "Xanthic" Arapaimas but most of those turned out to be normal Arapaimas.

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
IMO, it looks like an axanthic judging from the eyes. It doesn't look like a normal arapaima to me. If you have seen photos of axanthic Aros, you would know what I'm talking about.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
Doesn't look like a normal to me. Almost looks leucistic but how come 2 of the pics shows an almost normal looking one or is that supposed to be the axanthic and the white one something else?

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
for me, most of those pics look like WTT!

Hao

The Ancient
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2008
Doesn't look like a normal to me. Almost looks leucistic but how come 2 of the pics shows an almost normal looking one or is that supposed to be the axanthic and the white one something else?

I see 2 photos of a normal paima too. But the rest seem to be axanthic, not leucistic. It has that leucistic effect due to the white tank treatment.

Aw3s0m3

Piranha
MFK Member
May 6, 2012
Over there
I see 2 photos of a normal paima too. But the rest seem to be axanthic, not leucistic. It has that leucistic effect due to the white tank treatment.
Gotcha. So are the 2 normal pics the same fish as the white then? I know axanthic is the lack of yellow pigment and the normal looking ones look more like that. Even though it is more normal looking, it has a darker tint to it than all the normal arapaimas I've seen so I know they're not normals. Plus the eyes are sorta different as well like you said earlier.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
Gotcha. So are the 2 normal pics the same fish as the white then? I know axanthic is the lack of yellow pigment and the normal looking ones look more like that. Even though it is more normal looking, it has a darker tint to it than all the normal arapaimas I've seen so I know they're not normals. Plus the eyes are sorta different as well like you said earlier.

the eyes is more like the refection from the light surrounding the fish as I see many time in my fishes.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store