silver Arowana question about color??

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Hi I am new here on MFK and would like to ask a question about my 11'' Silver Arowana. Ive been on you tube and I've seen many Silver Arows with very strong blue and pink coloring to them and I would like to know how I can get mine to be so vibrant in color what foods should I give him to enhance color or what things can I do the foods I currently feed him are the following: Hikari Carnisticks, freeze dried krill, live crickets, super worms, the red kind of market shrimp and that's all. why isn't he showing vibrant color the water parameters are good the tank is at proper temperature the tank is BIG and no other fish are there to bully him what will make him look so good and also can I feed him raw market shrimp (the grey kind ) I heard somewhere it depends what you pay for them on how good the color will be I bought him at 6'' for $40.00 if that means anything. thank you :)

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
If you're aro is a male you don't have to do anything. Male fishes colors come out regardless of what you feed it. But females need some help as they need color enhancing foods. So any foods that claim color enhancing in fish will do.

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
Thanks for the input I know to feed it color enhancing foods but the question is what foods i am not such an expert on arowanas and their diet so I don't know what foods have the color enhancing properties

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DDK

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2013
us
I have had good luck with the hiraki sticks that you are using right now.

These correct?
http://www.hikari.info/tropical/t_06.html

That should be enough to bring out the fishes potential. Its 90% genes and 10% what you feed/amount of water changes you do. But sometimes the 10% makes all the differences so good luck!

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
those will work. Also check your lights, some videos on youtube their arowana are under better lights then yours.

Evz jardini

Jardini
MFK Member
May 19, 2010
manchester /uk
Hikari sticks , raw prawns (blue in colour) and plenty of wc's is the key imo , also as mentioned lighting plsys a big role ,good luck with your aro look forward to update pics

yanfloist

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 1, 2009
minnesota
This was my silver arowana at 8-10 inches. All I fed it was hikari sticks. I think that for an arowana to really show its colors (especially red), it has to have it to begin with.
By looking at your pictures, I see that your arowana has the silver yellow coloration. When I first bought mine, it had the silver and pink coloration.

When I first got it (You can see that it already has the red coloration on its bottom and tail fin)
Silver Arowana September 11 2011 (2).JPG
Silver Arowana September 11 2011 (9).JPG
After two months on hikari sticks
Silver Arowana November 17 2011 (3).JPG
Silver Arowana November 17 2011 (49).JPG

Silver Arowana November 17 2011 (3).JPG

Silver Arowana November 17 2011 (49).JPG

Silver Arowana September 11 2011 (2).JPG

Silver Arowana September 11 2011 (9).JPG

Reactions: bigarofan91
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com