Salinity amounts and water question

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
So guys if I wanted to increase the salinity of a 120 gallon aquarium by .002 SG, instead of using instant salt (1/2 cup per US gallon for full sea water) and trying to work out all the math... which I think I worked out to be around 100 table spoons. (6ish cups) I was thinking, Could I not just add an amount of PURE sea water from another aquarium that I have thats at the full strength marine salinity?

If so how much of the water would I have to add to my 120 to increase the SG by .002?

Thanks guys

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
Just wait until water evaporates until you get it to were you want it and then make some saltwater and get it at the same sg to confensate for the water lost through evaporation.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
evaporation isn't so much the issue as me trying to calculate how much I would need to go .002 SG higher in a 120 gallon aquarium. Like I say my math is very bad and I don't want to screw anything up

Cu455

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
US
evaporation isn't so much the issue as me trying to calculate how much I would need to go .002 SG higher in a 120 gallon aquarium. Like I say my math is very bad and I don't want to screw anything up
The water that evaporates from the tank is freshwater. Salt will stay in the tank and not leave. As the water evaporates (which has no salt) the salt concentration in the tank will increase. Let enough water evaporates to get to the salt concentration you want. Then top it off with saltwater of the same concentration as oppose to freshwater.

ckcdrummer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2012
CA
The water that evaporates from the tank is freshwater. Salt will stay in the tank and not leave. As the water evaporates (which has no salt) the salt concentration in the tank will increase. Let enough water evaporates to get to the salt concentration you want. Then top it off with saltwater of the same concentration as oppose to freshwater.
Exactly.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Rafini

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2012
Calgary, Canada
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store