PDRed302's Aquaponic Betta Bowl (start to finish)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Well guys, I know the idea of putting a tiny fish in a tiny tank isn't the first thing on everyone's mind here but when putting a few different planters together the other day to spruce up the ole' homestead I decided it was time for a Betta. I had no intention however to spend any type of real money on this little setup so this is definitely more of the low budget way to do this (about $50).

I decided to run by Michael's and see what they had glass bowl wise, I was game for whatever as long as it had a descent enough footprint and water volume for a 1 to 2" fish. What I ended up with is a very traditional bowl, which is different than what I had envisioned but it has worked out well so far.

Ahhhhh rock stew, seems like almost every setup starts out this way, lol. I hadn't planned on picking up any new substrate/decor for this setup but Michael's was having a great sale that included 2lb bags of decorative rocks and stone for $1 a piece, so I grabbed a few.

I wanted to do a kind of hybrid build (shrimp bowl/betta bowl/aquaponic planter) so I started out with some premium top soil for my base substrate.

The script that stated "no rocks, sticks, etc." was of course, a bold face lie. But with a little monotonous picking through and sifting I was able to get my base substrate free from most extra debris.

While playing with dirt, I decided it was a good time to go ahead and clean up some sand for my top coat of substrate.

...Just incase anyone was wondering, I used this stuff, it was all kinds of dirty (took about 10 mins to run clear) but I already had it left over from a previous build.

What's this??? So far this has been working out well and hopefully continues to: I constructed a crude filter/aeration system for this bowl using a basic 10gal air pump and some little left over airline and fittings, etc.

In tank and roughly in place, held in with a suction cup and placed on the base layer of substrate. Here you can see the basic premise of my filter/aeration setup. I used a plastic T to split a single incoming airline so that I would be able to use one end to aid in aeration for future plants as well as adding a descent length of line and another stone to drive a diy sponge filter.

I had really debated doing a Wabikusa but decided against it so that I could add more water volume for my tank inhabitant. I wanted to add some terrestrial plants to the bowl setup and a small flower pot seemed like the easiest option; I used a left over flower pot that I had from one of my wife and I's failed attempts at an herb garden (what was I thinking, trying to grow stuff outside, in the dirt? lol). After a quick cleaning the flower pot was placed in the tank along with a layer of sand to hold down all the dirt. At this point I moved with air-stone for plant aeration inside of the pot to it's permanent home. (note: Using a larger circumference air-stone inside the pot may provide more overall aeration/happier plants, I used a small one because it was free but if I was to do it over agian I'd use a 2 or 3 inch disc.)

I may still go back and re-visit my diy sponge filter setup but until then it seems to be working just fine:

While my first attempt seemed to run the system very well, it was a bit noisy, so I ended up scraping it.

I ended up using a very similar version, that ended up being a little shorter, with way less intake holes than its previous version. Just a heads up, like all DIY sponges, any sponge would work here but I used a stock sponge intake for the Danner Mag 7.

Last shot for this part of the post... ;)

Rough scaping in place along with a half fill on the flower pots media, I used Plant!t expanded clay balls for the hydrponic/aquaponic media here (had some left over from another build :grinno: ) although I'm sure some larger gravel, lava, rock, pebbles, etc. would have worked here.

continued----->

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Ready for terrestrial plants:

While at home Depot I grabbed 2 species that I thought would compliment each other as well as grow in the space provided. After a quick cleaning they were ready to go into the clay media.

After I had them all placed, I finished filling the pot with the clay media and topped it off with a few small stones, for looks as well as stability.

...After a few days I was ready for plants (aquatic ones that is), so knowing I didn't plan on spending much money I decided to go by a Petsmart and see what they had; honestly I'm very happy I ended up doing that. Petsmart had a great deal on plants, that looked good and seemed healthy; plus I wasn't too worried about bringing over snails, as they would have been a welcome addition :)

I used all low light, non-co2, easy to grow plants.

Lowered the water level to make things easier and got all the plants in place
-

After leaving it alone for a bit to let the filter do it's work
-

I waited about a week or so after the plants to add my female Betta (who I've been calling Jill) to the tank. I knew that I added enough media/BB for an essential "insta-cycle" but I still wanted to wait a few days to let everything settle and test the levels just to make sure.

I took my son Raymond (20 months) with me to help pick out our newest addition. He ended up pointing out a female Crown-tail and I think he made a great choice, as she is very personable.

Shot of her in tank

One more of her, enjoying the plants

...A few side notes: As I mentioned before adding a large air-stone will definitely help with aeration of your plants, one thing I didn't mention however was water level. If you notice in my photos the water level is at the edge of rim of the flower pot, making the growing conditions just under emergent and more like bog conditions. By lowering my water level an inch, I'd provide a better growing environment for my chosen terrestrial plants but since I'm more worried about the fish in this situation and the plants are only decorative (as well as fairly cheap) I'm willing to experiment a bit. I also, do not think it is necessary to use the dirt/top soil that i decided to use on this build; I however really wanted to give it a try.

All in all I had fun with this afternoon build, add that to the fact that I didn't spend much money or time at all to complete it:

Michael's:
Bowl:$12
Rocks:$2

HomeDepot:
Dirt:$4
Garden Plants:$8

Petsmart/Co:
Air pump: $12
Plants:$12

My cost ended up being about $50 but if you're lacking a few of the supplies I already had at my disposal I'd say you'll spend around $75 (not bad for a running, planted, plant growing tank); like I said in the beginning, it's not a monster but it was fun. Thanks for reading along :D

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Thank you for that! :cheers:

I have a small update to the thread but since it hadn't received any feedback I was hesitant to bump it myself, since it has been revived though, I figured I'd go ahead with it:

UPDATE...

Well the drainage from the tilt of the flowerpot that I incorporated into the setup proved to be not quite adequate for both of the plants to survive. The annual suffered from a bit too much water and had to be re-homed into my outdoors flowerbed. The Red Riding Hood did fine with the amount of drainage that I had but began to look a "little too bushy" for my wife and I's tastes, so we moved it to our back yard, unfortunately it didn't fair to well with the temperature change and died off. :(

The problem that I am encountering now could easily be remedied by simply adding a vine plant like pothos or philodendron but since I've already got both of those growing on my display I opted against it. You could also raise the water level to near the top of the bowl like in a traditional Betta bowl and add an emergent plant species but this isn't what I wanted to do either.

To get around this drainage problem I came up with a fairly easy solution, I just needed to add more water movement to keep the water from becoming stagnant as well as provide aeration for the plant; while also keeping the surface (top 1") of my media dry. I am on the hunt for a new flower for this setup but haven't given it much time because I've been busy with other projects. Once I find the plant that I want to grow then I do plan on posting an update with the flower pot adjustments and new setup, until then I figured I'd do a quick doodle to visually explain the solution:

By adding drainage holes below the water line you can achieve a more consistent water exchange than by simply angling the pot as I did before. These holes would need to stay below the water line since I'm not physically pumping water through the media: like you would in a constant flood grow bed. I would venture to guess that you would also need at least some where around 1" of dry media to keep the plant from experiencing root rot or any other over watering issues (this is from my experience with tomatoes in a constant flood system in which I leave about 1.25" of dry media). I'm also under the assumption that you will also definitely need to use a large air stone like I mentioned at the end of my original post.

Hopefully I can get around to getting my pot drilled [you'll need a masonry bit unless you use a plastic pot] and replanted/setup before long and can re-update with better results!

Thanks again for looking!

Also for anyone wondering my Betta and aquatic plants are doing fantastic, I of course have a small snail infestation (thank you petsmart) but don't mind much as they seem to keep things relatively clean.

Pole

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2013
Here
bumped it as a betta fan ;)btw do u think I can do something similar for a 2.5 gal old lego box?

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
Looks awesome!
Thank you

bumped it as a betta fan ;)btw do u think I can do something similar for a 2.5 gal old lego box?
No reason you couldn't as long as you have filtration and flow I see no reason why you couldn't use any container you wanted.

I like it! Great work. I'd try to move away from the flower pot, and replace with some sort of medium like takashi amano uses. Some sort of mud or dirt ball or sponge or something.
I feel you on that, I was originally thinking of doing a wabikusa but at the same time I really wanted an underwater/above water flower pot. Although I do plan to do something like what you suggested in the future using a 20 long, or something similar :)

PDRed302

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2011
Fort Worth Texas
well now that I bumped it, I want constant updates;)
Lol, sounds like a plan, hopefully I'll get it all setup before too long, although I am a known procrastinator. :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store