AROWANA

calleja_aquariums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
ontario, canada
Hello,
I was wondering what the smallest species of arowana is and whats their full grown size and tank requirements.
Also does anyone know where I may find an African arowana.

Thanks

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
No such thing as a small arowana, they all should grow to over 2' long under ideal conditions though some [silvers] will get there faster than others. Tank requirements are as big as you can possibly go, my personal opinion is anything less than an 8x3' footprint is selling an arowana short, even if they don't "need" the space to turn around IMO a fish should be able to do more than just swim left-to-right.

ps. a vague subject line like "AROWANA" in an Arowana-specific forum isn't much help for anyone.

calleja_aquariums

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2010
ontario, canada
I don't recall saying there was a small arowana, if you read what I typed correctly I said "smallest species". and next time ill mke sure the subject lie is very detailed for you.

thanks

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
African butterfly fish, 5" long, 40 gallon tank.

You can find African arowana in Africa.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Jardini arowanas. they dont require 300+gallon tank.. a 200+ is sufficent IF the tank is wider than its height, and length is long. AND the jardini have to be alone. Asian arowanas are the same. except im not sure if they are illegal in Canada. Silvers and blacks grow Longer than in girth compared to Jardini/asians. Jardinis are more balanced in their growth and will grow girth and length equally. Silver/blacks will grow their length/girth i think 4 to 1 ratio if im not mistaken... some one correct me on this.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I don't recall saying there was a small arowana, if you read what I typed correctly I said "smallest species".
I don't recall saying you said there was a small species of arowana. :screwy:

If you had bothered reading the thread at the top of this forum titled Arowana & ArapaimaSpecies Profiles you could have answered your own questions. This is exactly why I usually skip over threads with vague subject lines...

You can find African arowana in Africa.
Pro Tip; look in the rivers.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store