A little help with species compatability

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
Alright, so recently I started saving up for a 250gallon tank. They sell them at an aquarium shop near my house (I was pretty shocked by this) and they have special tanks with rounded corners built for stingrays. My plan is to get my hands on one of these tanks and get a small stingray, I've been doing all sorts of research to learn how to care for them. However, there are a lot of contradictions in the articles I have read, mainly on what fish are safe to keep with them. Does anyone know exactly what is safe and what's not?

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
Currently these are the tanks I own. A ten gallon, a 55 gallon, about four five gallons, and a 75 gallon that's not set up. Only two of these tanks are actually up and running right now, but my plan was to get a 200 and then a 125 in case something happens.

bonesb66

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2010
Birmingham
There are such a wide range of things which are compatible.

What particular ray are you looking to keep? What fish have you got in mind to keep with them?

Then it's much easier to say yes i've got experience keeping X with Y with little problems or alternatively X was not compatible with Y etc etc.

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
I really was thinking about owning a teacup stingray, I've heard that they're not really a "species" though. I'm looking for a small species of ray that could get along with something like an arowana, or maybe an Oscar. I really would like to keep some cichlids with the rays, and I'd prefer it to be a South American species list. Got anything for me?

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
Arowana is your best bet and teacups usually retics are not your best bet for a first ray. I would say most cichlids won't work but have kept pbass with them and went well

flip4EvR45

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 18, 2013
U.S.A
Alright, cool! I'll keep doing research until I'm sure I can take care of a Ray

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store