Week 3.5 of EAT PELLETS OR DIE

pga7602

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
LA CA
You might remember me from a previous post, where I describe my grow out tank where 3 out of 5 datnoids are on Carnivore pellets, but 2 NTTs would not bother. The ones eating the pellets are Indos. The NTTs were too small at the time of my post to start the EAT or die program, but once they reached 3 inches, I was comfortable doing it. Well.. it's now week 3.5 and they are very skinny. Still active and show no signs of illness, but they don't seem to be caving. My Indos gobble up pellets 2 times a day in front of them, but all they would do is go sniffing at the pellets.

Thoughts? Should I keep going? Should I let them eat bloodworms for now and start up again in a few weeks?

Thelatinofishlover

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2012
Mexico City
i hate starving my fish, but yeah i think 3.5 weeks without food is enough, i would give them alittle to eat every day for a few days just to get alittle weight on them and then start again

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
If they're sniffing that's a good sign. I would go to 4 weeks but instead of giving bloodworms, give raw shrimp. Most dats can't resist shrimp and it fattens them up quick. Once you get them on shrimp, you can start stuffing the shrimp with pellets. As time goes on, put less and less shrimp with then pellets and soon enough they should just eat the pellets. I've done the eat or die method and never lost a dat, and i have about 12 but i prefer the shrimp method after about a month of starving. You have to start somewhere, but getting them
Off bloodworms should be your starting point. It will get easier from there.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

pga7602

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2009
LA CA
thanks guys, I'm going to keep going at it. If I cave, I'll take the advice on shrimp. Just wanted to mention that I had tried shrimp before the EAT or DIE method, but they won't take it. Only do live or dead bloodworms.

I'll keep everyone posted so people can learn from my success or failure.

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
After a month of no food, I bet they would like some shrimp. You might try soaking in bloodworm juice.

D.Wolf

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2013
Slovenia, Europe
I have the same prob..i got him from live fishes to live earthworms and frozen bloodworm (he eats every other day)..now it doesnt move anywhere..he sniffs mealworms (fresh in can) ,pellets, frozen krill, frozen shrimp but wont take anything - bloodworms or earthworms nothing else.. I didnt try to starve him yet (i tried to soak pellets and shrimps in bloodworms juice but no success)..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Vancouver_98683

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 29, 2010
I'm a dat owner myself. Just want to hear some of the reasoning for going through this starving method. Why is it a big deal to get them on pellets? I have some that would eat sinkers, but primarily on cut up tilapia and market shrimp. Frozen tilapia is a low cost feed.

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
It's healthier for the fish in the long run... Supposedly. One pellet contains everything required for the fish to grow, survive and be healthy instead of feeding multiple different foods.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Think of the vitamins and such in pellets vs your talapia

Sent from my DROIDX using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store