Lighting in planted arowana tank

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I've got a jardini and silver arowana in my tank. I know for a fact that silver arowanas are 99% prone to drop eye. But I'd like to prevent and fight it the best I can. I would like to put some plants in the tank.... But Doing so requires a lot of light. Or high light intensity. I plan on putting a potted water wisteria bunch in the tank... And in the tank it'll require quite a lot of light... And I've read that over exposure to light can affect the drop eye rate. Is there a way to prevent this? The plants main purpose is for nitrate absorbing and proving some sort of environment for my fish to feel safe.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
It's far from proven, but IMO if you want to do everything in your powers to prevent/lessen DE then considering the lighting is a good idea. I'd opt for low-light plants like javafern and anubius so you don't need intense lighting, and use something like pothos [see thread in DIY Filters forum] for nitrate removal. Also think about raising the lights up off the top of the tank a bit to allow the light to diffuse a bit more before hitting the water and make it not so intense for fish looking up.

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Hmm I think i'll lower the water level a couple inches... because the water level is basically less than 3 inches away from the light. and i have a hood....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store