Newb here. whats a good fish for me?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hmm are you new to saltwater? Is you tank cycled? 40 Gallon Breeder is on the smallish side for saltwater tanks. If I had a 40 gallon breeder...probably either a big mantis shrimp or angler/frogfish.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Ok thats perfect, whats kinds of fish are you looking at? Any in particular?

Also do you already have the 40 or are planning on getting a 40?

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
I have a bunch of tanks in my house but the largest free one is a 40. I will prob use that as just as a little guy tank. I started researching for beginner salt water fish and I found lue/green reef chromis and damselfish... Apparently they are omnivores... I got the idea do a salt water tank because I go fishing a a lot at the shore... And I catch tons do sea robins and I do eat the,. I was thinking of feeding my fish robins

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Those pesky sea robins, I under stand your point as I go fishing here all the time. Why not a baby flounder? Lol jk they get pretty big.

Im not a 100 percent sure but maybe you can get away with a fuzzy dwarf lion fish..

Last but not least... how are sea robins? Lol i catch a ton of them but never decided to eat them

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
it depends on what type of fish you're looking for...
damsels are kind of just a** holes... i don't remember the swearing rules so hopefully i don't get written up for that... but they just nip at everything kind of like freshwater barbs... they don't really eat smaller fish..and they don't get huge...but they just kind of suck.
chromis are omnivores....but they are REALLY peaceful and this is normally what people tend or should start up with ...they are hardy and more peaceful than most reef safe fish...if you did plan on adding corals ever...

a 40 is really too small for any type of angel/trigger combo/setup.

frogs may be ugly, but they are ambush preds and can live in small spaces...
a snowflake eel needs a little bit bigger than a 40 gallon, so if you can rehome him in the future to a 75 or so... that wouldn't be a bad starter pred...
groupers get huge so thats a no..
hawkfish and dwarf hawks might not be a bad choice...not super aggressive, but they are carnivores.
lions need way bigger tanks
dwarf lions will also need more territory so i would stray away...

mostly for predator tanks you need at the very bare minimum a 55 gallon and even that is starting to push it ... i would recommend a 75-90 gallon tank...

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Those pesky sea robins, I under stand your point as I go fishing here all the time. Why not a baby flounder? Lol jk they get pretty big.

Im not a 100 percent sure but maybe you can get away with a fuzzy dwarf lion fish..

Last but not least... how are sea robins? Lol i catch a ton of them but never decided to eat them
Actually they are decent filleted. The other name for sea robins are gurnards. Europe eats gurnards as a regular fish dish as we eat sea bass. They are one of the more tasteless white meat fish IMO. Just just as good as any fish. But will not las longer than 3 days in fridge... They begin to smell even after cooked. You should try it. Fillet it, cut out the lateral bone outa the fillet, batter it up and add some garlic. It's pretty good. Definitely better than tilapia.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store