arowana floating poop

D099y

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
united states
Hi everyone, i'm new to this forum and i would like to ask if anyone know what is the deal with silver aro having floating poop?? my silver aro is abt 5 inches( give or take). i've been giving him the same dry food pellets since i got him 2-3 months ago. i notice if i fed him dry shrimp, his poop float. my local fish store told me to change his food to dry pellet (Hikari food stick). his was pooping fine, but all of a sudden, his poop started floating again. anyone have/had the same problem?? is this bad for the silver aro??

my silver aro is kept in a 90 gallon with 8 red parrot fish. i do water change every 5-6 days normally.

another thing i notice my silver aro is doing is that, he will swim to either end of the tank and start swimming like he is trying to get out of the tank. his swimming movement is kinda like a snake. is he stress?? but he will even do it when the light is off. and i dont think its the other fishes, they were all put into the tank at the same time.

monsterfishdude

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2013
Canada
How long has your tank been running ? I ask because it's swimming up and down the glass

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Doesn't your poop float sometimes? Poop floats because there is some gas trapped in it. Gas in the digestive tract is normal. It is called a fart, in very unscientific terms. I have a puffer and a bichir who always have floating poop. Not an issue.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Arowana poop floats sometimes nothing to worry about. Be concerned if the poop looks transparent or see true, then there could be internal parasites. Just fed a varied diet of pellets, freeze dried, frozen and even some live foods. As for the swimming to the glass, just something some arowana do. Some grow out of it others will continue to do it. One of my large silvers still does it on occasion.

Just a proper diet and keep the water params in check. As a reminder these fish are extreme jumpers. So you need to seal all holes and secure the top. He's gonna get big fast, what are ya planning for his next tank?

D099y

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
united states
Thank you all, as for my next tank, it will be a 240 gallons

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Thank you all, as for my next tank, it will be a 240 gallons

Cool, you'll have 9 months to a year before your aro outgrows the 90g. Do you already have the 240g? If not you may consider looking at getting a larger tank. Eventually your arowana should get well past 30" which will be a bit large for a 240g tank.

D099y

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2013
united states
Already having someone started on tge custom tank.

And do u know why my aro sometime swim up and down like a snake @ the end of both side of fish tank. Kinda like he is trying to find a way out

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Already having someone started on tge custom tank.

And do u know why my aro sometime swim up and down like a snake @ the end of both side of fish tank. Kinda like he is trying to find a way out

Like I previously said, it's just something some arowana do.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I find mine does that a lot less now it has ample room to move.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store