Anybody Have A Native Saltwater Tank?

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Hey Everyone,

Defiantly members down in florida probably have or tried catching fish on their own and placing them in thier tanks. Here in New York...all we have are bluefish, stripebass, sea robins and flounder (well where I live). Pretty sure the temperature of the water doesnt get up to the 78 temp...but maybe with a native tank heaters are not needed.

So ignoring that who hear has a native tank? And how have you caught it? Rod n reel/Trap...

Ive always dreamt the idea of having a native tank of new yorks waters with flounder and sea robin on the bottom and a big old bluefish in the middle...for the bluefish alone probably be looking at a 500 gallon tank!

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
interested to see....being from michigan i don't have many options....lol actually none...unless i do some majorly illegal stuff and transport them across lines in a bucket

(WHICH I'VE NEVER THOUGHT ABOUT DOING) :ROFL:

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Lmao! Honestly I know this is a public forum but if you are able to catch fish at the appropiate size I cant see why not instead of eating the fish throw it in the fish tank...dk maybe the idea of putting them back in the wild at different parts of the world? Idk lmao.

danster9000

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
laguna
i have a native tank im on the west coast its about a 600 gallon tank with leopard sharks, smoothhounds, swellsharks, halibut multiple species of sculpin and the only native butterfly fish in california Scythe Butterflyfish (Prognathodes falcifer) found in 300+ multiple species of stingray rockfish calico bass spotted bay bass sand bass lingcod kelp fish ect ect i could go on and on if you ever get interested in more subtropical to coldwater check out Coldwatermarineaquatics.com they have some amazing stock and they have a permit that specially is for the collection of native fish check them out

AquaticEngineer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
they have some pretty sick looking stuff...
Thanks :) I'm Stu, one of the owners/collectors of Coldwater Marine Aquatics. If you guys ever have any questions about subtropical / temperate / coldwater native marines hit me up, I'm always down to chat :)

I guess I should start posting over here more often since my holding system is about 500+ gallons and my display tank I'm building for in my house to hook into the holding system is a 140 gallon Marineland Lobster system I'm refurbishing. Heres some pics of it so far :D

Here it is when I bought it:

Here it is once I got it home and started on refurbishing and deconstruction:

Here it is as of right now, with all the siding taken off, all the holes and smoothed over and primed with KILLZ mold paint.

Next up is orange peel texture to match the house and a coat of paint that matches in the interior color and then it will go in this nook inside my house below my wall mount tank.

AquaticEngineer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon
Next up is orange peel texture to match the house and a coat of paint that matches in the interior color and then it will go in this nook inside my house below my wall mount tank.

AquaticEngineer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2012
Portland, Oregon

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
AqEng: Looking forward to seeing the setup loaded up. I picked up a round store lobster display tank. My wife wants me to raise spiney or slipper lobster for the steampot.

I've kept Atlantic tanks with sea robins, easter puffers, spider crabs, flounders, etc. When I live in CA I had a large salt water pond in the yard with leopard sharks, smoothhound sharks, guitarfish, and bat rays. I lived on the beach so water changes and obtaining live foods wasn't a problem.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store