Natural rocks for Rifts.

vinboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
Liverpool, England
Hi all
I see that Holey rock and ocean rock gets used most and i dont see why maybe lfs advice and sales?
Ive kept mostly Mbuna for many yrs now and have read every book and watched my hrs of Lakemalawi under water footage.
To mimic small rockscapes sandstone/yorkstone is most alike even granite.
Ive done many rockscapes here is a few hope you like.

caribemob

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2008
philadelphia
Those aquascapes are really nice. What kind of stone are you using granite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

claude3rd

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2010
Waterbury, CT
Nice... I am setting up a 75g tank. I have been "getting" rocks from around my area. You have givin me some good inspriation.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
The reason for holey rock and dead 'live' rock is that these rocks are made of limestone. Limestone is necessary to maintain a balanced high pH that's preferred by Rift Lake cichlids. If you prefer the look of the granite, I'd recommend placing aragonite sand or aragonite rice gravel in your substrate to help maintain a proper pH for your cichlids. If you decide on aragonite be aware that it will need to be replenished every 2-3 years depending on the pH of your water source.

BTW, the rockwork looks great. However, I note that you're not displacing the weight properly. Pressure points on glass tanks may become breaking points from the least bit of shift in the rockwork.

vinboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
Liverpool, England
Limestone will only increase ph and hardness if the water bypassing is acid ie low ph. I use Epsom salts and bicarb to raise my water to correct lakemalawi water stats and all my wilds are doing great for past few yrs and produce plenty of f1 young. With all my rockscapes I place all flat rocks first no points go on glass then I add sand so mbuna cant dig under.

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Limestone will only increase ph and hardness if the water bypassing is acid ie low ph. I use Epsom salts and bicarb to raise my water to correct lakemalawi water stats and all my wilds are doing great for past few yrs and produce plenty of f1 young. With all my rockscapes I place all flat rocks first no points go on glass then I add sand so mbuna cant dig under.
I wasn't arguing your use of granite but was answering your question concerning the reason for the use of limestone. My water is considered alkaline and I use bulk limestone/aragonite to provide a consistent higher pH level for my tangs.

vinboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
Liverpool, England
That was the point of my post that Holey rock/Ocean rock is not a must as using powered form ie bicarb an Epsom salts works much better and raises water stats higher ie for Tangs. I use weathered sandstone now which is as close to the rocks in lakemalawi as possible for a biotope effect which holey rock lacks to do also.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store