New Little Silver Arrowana

Mantra0112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
El Paso
Hello,

i recently bought a baby silver arowana he us about 4 inches long and is currently in a 55 gallon tank for now, i have a 135 gallon tank which i have a decent sized oscar(about 9 inches) and some small cichlids(3-4 inches)... i already have plans to buy a 320 gallon tank from a friend in January which will be the eventual final tank for him, but my question is about what size would it be safe to move him into the 135 gallon tank? or do you think he is fine in the 55 gallon till i get the big tank in January?

thanks

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
Seeing as your Arowana still has a long way to grow before contending with that oscar i would wait till hes at least the same size length wise, i was unfortunate enough to have one of these buggers at 6inches i threw him in my community tank with a few normal dinosaur Birchir thinking he would be fine, the first thing that happens one tiny birchir smaller than the Arowana swims up and bites the new guys back, instant cripple... he passed away a few hours later. Take into consideration they are very delicate fish at that size and i'm sure it wasn't cheap either... Just take my advise and wait till hes about the size of your other fish to add him in. Best of luck!

Mantra0112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
El Paso
ya that's why I've kept him separate i don't want the Oscar to eat him lol, but just wanted to make sure i don't leave him in the small tank to long and stunt him

Lead20

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2013
NY
Aye i totally understand, would you rather a stunted beast or a dead baby? best of luck whichever way you go

Jesseliu13

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 27, 2012
Holmdel, NJ
Oscars are bullies when they are younger as their territory seems to be a lot bigger than it should. I suggest you start feeding your Oscar less and feed your arowana more high proteins . So that could me crickets at least 2-3x a week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
I'd wait til the aro is 12" at least, even then a 9" oscar is a lot "bigger" than a 12" aro...

Adamrhh

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Ohio
www.theratpub.com
Oscars are bullies when they are younger as their territory seems to be a lot bigger than it should. I suggest you start feeding your Oscar less and feed your arowana more high proteins . So that could me crickets at least 2-3x a week

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
Yeah I agree... Oscars mellow out so much as they grow. The babies are like "gotta eat everything little thing no matter the size"

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Silver arowana shouldn't be mixed with large SA/CA cichlids until the arowana is at least 10-11" long. Even then the arowana should be 2x the length of the cichlid. I would say most likely youy won't be mixing the two until you put them in the 320g.

Mantra0112

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2012
El Paso
so i ended up finding a really good deal on a 250gallon tank and have moved the oscars in there and moved the arowana into the 135 gallon seems to be working well the arowana eats like a champ and should grow fast... currently feeding him hikari food sticks but was curious if cichlid gold would also work for an arowana? only 1 local pet store around sells the food sticks and only in the small bag which eventually isnt going to be enough lol

im assuming there isnt a big difference in the foods but im not certain so figured id ask

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store