Sting ray attacked

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
My new stingray pup was attacked by my bichir, the back end of his body is torn up, I want to know will this be a fatal wound. Can he recover, what meds should I use to help prevent infection. I'm moving him to a separate tank now to try and heal him. Any help would be greatuploadfromtaptalk1375767736578.jpg

Sent from my SGH-I747M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
happened to me as well with my pup and an adult bichir. I've separated the bichir and used melafix to heal the disc. it'll take a few weeks for the disk to grow back on the damage area. my big bichir though don't bother the parent rays, seems they think the smaller ray as food.

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
So your ray did pull through and heal its self that's good news. I am also using melafix & pimafix in the hospital tank for the ray, as well as a low dosage of aquarium salt. How often did you do a water change to help your stingray, on the med bottles it says once a week, I've read one source that says every 3 days as well as another source that says daily water changes. Also how often do I want to be offering food?

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
We'll there are 3 bichir in the tank. I don't know who did the attacking, the biggest one who is an ornate is about 12", the dehezi bichir is about 9" and the! Endlicheri bichir is about 4-5", the endlicheri was added about 3 weeks ago and no one bothered him even though he is a 3rd of the size of the ornate. The pup I added is about 4-5" in diameter I thought for sure he would of been left alone cuz of the size of him. The reading I had done said bichirs are suitable tank mates for rays

litigator666

Piranha
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2008
clayfield, qld australia
Bichir (ornates) and rays (motoro) work for me as they are all almost the same sizes – about 2ft. They seem to not bother each other due to size.

In your case, the ray (4-5”) added was smaller and you have 12” ornate there. My pup survived and the disk heal back to its original shape. I have dose it twice a week with waterchanges at the same time. Just feed it in small quantities as you don’t want to starve it at the same time.

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
Well thanks for the advise, it must have been just to much stress on the small pup though, I just found him dead. Not very happy right now

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
Sorry to hear. When buying new pups it's best to put them in a tank for themselves until they are eating lots and have put on some size. Being that size the ray was really young and doesn't know anything about predators chewing them up.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store