Soil for sand

silver98

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2013
Singapore
Hi guys planning to put sand in my tank (going to get a motoro ray soon but want to put the sand first) but was wondering wether i can use soil such as the amozonian soil instead of sand cos i cant seem to find non-silica sand in my area(btw i live in SINGAPORE)
Also is there any safe replacement for non-silica sand?
Thnxs in advance for any help

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

expkeeper19

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 3, 2009
Regina
If Amazonian soil is just another way to say dirt I don't think you'll be able to. Personally I have never tried using soil but I wanted to and I was advised by an experienced fish keeper that the dirt won't settle enough in the tank and it will be hard to keep it from floating around when there is water movement and it will cloud the tank. Apparently it won't pack. That's just what I've been told. How ever that doesn't mean it's not possible maybe some of the guys on the site here have pulled this off successfully. I love hearing about new ideas people are coming up with and making them work that's part of the fun being in this hobby. I will be following this post to see if someone has successfully kept dirt as substrate in their tank.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store