Datnoid questions

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Hi guys/gals i bought a 200g (actually it's more like a 195g) tank a couple months back and i am finally setting it up. I am going to put polypterus and datnoids in there. I would like to know how many i can put in there and what type would be better suited. The tank is 72"L x 24"w x 26"h. However it has an over flow that comes out about 7 1/2 inches into the tank. I was not sure if the overflow would affect what type i would get. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking :). P.S. I was also wondering if i could possibly mix the different types, also if i were to choose i would choose i'd like to have these ST, IT, and NTT. Thanks a lot guys/gals :)

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I also am wondering if when they are smaller will be ok with driftwood then when they get larger i take most of the driftwood out.

-DC-

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2009
Canada
No problems with mixing although it would be best to raise them together , Dat's can get aggressive toward each other you may end up having to weed a few out as they grow. Also Dat's grow very slowly so might be wise to start with some that are already 4-5"+ to make sure the growing bichirs don't snack on them.

Bichir species also all do well together and the tank is big enough for pretty much any species, some WC giants might be a bit cramped , maybe avoid congicus to be safe but in all reality any species would work well in that tank.

By the look's of your signature your 75g has the bichirs, just dump them into the 200g tank and add dats! use the 75g as a grow out if you ever want to add more fish!

Why not top it off with an Arowana for the top level !?? My 240g tank is a bichir, Dat, RTG aro mix , all get along very well (also have a fly river turtle in there). I also have some small dats in grow out with some sengel's and dehelzi . It seems big or small DAT/Bichir mix works very well.

Hope that helps!

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
yeah lol i'm sticking to the upper jaws maybe 1 lower jaw (dabola) but nothing monstrous. I also heard that if you power feed them live fish (oc course they'd be either QT'd or home bred) they will grow faster. On the aro i didn't think one could fit in there. especially with the overflow sticking out. Thank for the info. Wait so if mix them at a smaller size and let them grow together that would be better right?

baconmeupscotty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2013
Kansas
Hi guys/gals i bought a 200g (actually it's more like a 195g) tank a couple months back and i am finally setting it up.
Man that is some serious patience! I'd have that bad boy up before you could say "addiction" lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
Man that is some serious patience! I'd have that bad boy up before you could say "addiction" lol.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
yeah lol you won't believe, and see now my grandma is in the hospital (the same day we were getting new furniture) so it seems like i'm probably not gonna have it up for another couple months cause all our old furniture is in the garage with the tank......

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
so how many can i add? assuming only 1 is an ST (assuming i can find one lol just now finding out how rare and costly they are) and the others are IT's NTT's and NGT's?

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
As many as the bioload can handle if you want. Overflows shouldn't be an issue. I don't like driftwood with multiple dats due to chasing and bumping eyes into it. Eventually 1 to 3 dats may work together when they're very big in that tank along with polypterus mates. Hope grandma is ok

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
As many as the bioload can handle if you want. Overflows shouldn't be an issue. I don't like driftwood with multiple dats due to chasing and bumping eyes into it. Eventually 1 to 3 dats may work together when they're very big in that tank along with polypterus mates. Hope grandma is ok
yeah the driftwood would go away when they get larger. So i can have up to 3? thanks guys any more input?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store