New too rays

Slick Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
In a house
So went to the aquarium at Chicago and me and the wife loved petting the rays. So my question is what ray would be a good starting ray easy to keep friendly and doesn't sting? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

titustitus

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2011
Singapore
Hmm i will take it as we're talking about freshwater rays. A motoro woukd be a really good beginner ray in my opinion. However all rays will sting if they are being threatened. Unless you cut the barb off which is cruel and may cause complications like infection. You can still pet the ray though like hand feeding it but just got to watch out for that tail!

brutonsbrew

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 1, 2010
hampton
I'm glad you enjoyed rays but I wouldn't suggest you get one if the idea is to pet it. These are not a buy on a whim type of fish unless you don't mind wasting money and killing fish. Also they are all capable of stinging

Stateofficer1984

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2011
Fairmont North Carolina
If you had done any research at all, then you would already know the answers to your questions.. Therefore I can tell youre not ready for a stingray!! You need to study tank size, filtration, Species specifics, and thats just to get you started!!!

Slick Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
In a house
Yes I am referring to fresh, I also saw at the aquarium a couple of types of freshwater rays that were stingless? If this is correct are these types ok to keep in a home aquarium. Unless the aquarium cut them off. I do a lot of research just wanting to hear from experienced keepers. I also try my best to never buy on a whim since I don't enjoy killing any my babies. I currently have my discus and if I kept rays it would be much further down the line when I build my house. Thanks for the input.

UnstoppableJayD

MFK NNJ
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2012
Northern NJ
Welcome!!!! Stingrays are an unbelieavable wet pet, intersting intelligent and interactive! That being said, the care upkeep and potential size should notbe taken lightly. They need much more room and filtration then an equivelent fish due to there physiology. I have never heard of a sting less ray, but if you get a captive pup and are careful you can interact with little chance of being stung. Motoros are probably the best begginer ray as they are the easiest to care for butget big! like 2 feet or more.

I would read the stickies in the freshwater ray section to start then double back with questions....

good luck!

Slick Fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2013
In a house
Welcome!!!! Stingrays are an unbelieavable wet pet, intersting intelligent and interactive! That being said, the care upkeep and potential size should notbe taken lightly. They need much more room and filtration then an equivelent fish due to there physiology. I have never heard of a sting less ray, but if you get a captive pup and are careful you can interact with little chance of being stung. Motoros are probably the best begginer ray as they are the easiest to care for butget big! like 2 feet or more.

I would read the stickies in the freshwater ray section to start then double back with questions....

good luck!
Thanks a bunch!!!

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
At the aquariums they clip all the stingers, For a stingray you are going to need a 200-300 gallons aquarium, really you are going to need a tank that will be at least 30inches front to back as they grow and at least 6 feet long. Normally they petting pools are salt water rays. At least I have never seen a freshwater petting pool.

Yes I am referring to fresh, I also saw at the aquarium a couple of types of freshwater rays that were stingless? If this is correct are these types ok to keep in a home aquarium. Unless the aquarium cut them off. I do a lot of research just wanting to hear from experienced keepers. I also try my best to never buy on a whim since I don't enjoy killing any my babies. I currently have my discus and if I kept rays it would be much further down the line when I build my house. Thanks for the input.

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
Just a couple of add ins to what is already being said.

Shedd has a few ray species where the barb isn't going to be as obvious. Also, not all aquariums will trim the barb. Usually it's only done in shipping situations or in touch pool/public interaction areas. Trimming the barb is not bad in anyway for the animal if it is done properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store