UK Newbie here, am I choosing the right equipment? Help!

iFoxface

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
United Kingdom, South Coast
Hello all, so I know nobody likes a newbie but please go easy on me! I'm genuinely doing my best and trying to gather as much information as possible, I'm currently at the stage where I'm ready to go and buy all the set up- but am I going for the right things?

A friend of mine has given me a list of things he says I will need, so I'm working through it now. I'm looking to set up a 4 foot aquarium, but could end up with a 5 foot.

Coral Sand - 7kg
300Watt Heater
Live Rock - 5kg to start with
Instant Ocean, Salt - 8kg
Hygrometer or Refractometer
Colony, instant cycle
Digital thermometer
Nitrate testing kit
Wave maker
External filter - now this is where I'm stuck, I need help choosing! I'm not entirely sure which are suitable.
And loads of suction cups... wire tidies.

Is there anything I have missed, or anything that I need to know?

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Welcome to the salt life, and congrats on doing your research. What I'm going to highly suggest is a protein skimmer - it will benefit your tank and keep it very clean. They typically act as the "filter," so I don't usually run external or hob filters of any sort on a salt setup. Otherwise your list is good, I'd suggest getting more rock though for a reason; once your tank is setup and established you don't want to add more rock, because that would redo the whole cycle (should be about a month or more) because you introduce dead crap on the rock into your tank. Also I'd get a whole kit for testing parameters, like nitrate nitrite and ammonia. And I'd suggest having a powerhead along with your wave maker to get more water circulation.

iFoxface

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2013
United Kingdom, South Coast
I went into a new aquatic store nearby and had the owner go through all of his equipment with me so I'm really starting to get grips on what I need.. the first thing he mentioned was the protein skimmer, I am going to get my new tank and choose a skimmer from there- he also said they're temperamental, is this right.. or perhaps just his experience with the skimmers?

Also this may or may not be the wrong question to ask, but how many kg of live rock would you recommend? It will be ready cured with bacteria. I also ran a test on their tanks salinity levels, so I know what I'm doing there- they had the entire lab kit..! I'm not sure if thats going overboard, but it looks exciting.

Lastly, salt! the origional guy I spoke to said 8KG would be fine, the shop guy said 28KG! now.. theres a major price difference.. which do I go for?

~ocean

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 12, 2009
Stoon
Nice to hear things are coming together. First off, I find skimmers as a necessity, because of their ability to pull all that gunk from a tank (you'd be surprised - just google image some of the stuff that comes out). Despite that, many don't jump to the same conclusions, and the major problem is negated by more frequent water changes and more live rock.

Usually we measure rock in pounds over in Canada (1kg=2.2lb) so usually it is 1lb of rock per u.s. gallon of water (do you British use gallons too? liters?) although just but enough to make your tank look nice, I personally like a more open aquascape, instead of cluttered hills of rock. And the entire "lab kit" probably the master kit, and yeah its fine for normal use, lots of people have it, but yeah measuring is exciting!... until you do it thousands of times. But eh like the enthusiasm.

And salt, buy as much as you can carry, I (and lots) buy in bulk because you can keep it for a long time, just buy whichever is cheapest or best for you. Or if you would like, buy smaller packets, buy I usually just get a couple of those salt barrels.

Anyways hope your shopping goes well, come back for more questions if needed. btw just a heads up your cycling process of your tank will last 1 month (min) so you'll have to suppress your wanting to buy fish for a little while.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
I don't keep marine but I'm sure you'll get loads of help on em, Eheim FX5 canisters are great as far as the filter goes.

Also people like to help newbies on here, especially those who do their proper research, as far as I've seen.

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store