HELP 610 GALLON 8x3x3.5 tank. Canister Filters VS 130G sump?

doc_siddhu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2009
India
Hi guyz

im getting a 8' L x 3' W x 3.5' H tank

THE TANK IS GOING TO BE IN MY LIVING ROOM, close to a corner.

Im gonna start all the tank work tomorrow, but am really confused about the filtration..

MY TANK - 96" x 36" x 42"
Volume= 96" x 36" x 42" x 0.00421 = 611 gallon ~ 2400 Liters

the internet says its good to have a mimimum full turnover of 3 times the volume per hour( some tanks have upto 10 times:eek: )

Filtration = 3 times turnover minimum = 611 x 3 = 1833 Gallons per hr ~ 7000 Lit/ hr

Is this mandatory ? or can i do with less.

I actually planned to use a sump because i read its better than the canister type because of the large amout of biomedia that can be used and costs atleast 2 times cheaper AND increases the total volume of water (more than 100 gallons for mine). easier maintenance
MY SUMP --- 72" x 24" x 18" = 131 gallon . if half filled with water --- 66 gallon

Canister filter- compact, aesthetic, easy installation,
Noise ???? Wattage will be lower i guess? costs twice as much as a sump. clogging/ maintenance issues???

Since the setup is going to be in my LIVING ROOM, im worried if the sump is noisy ???? a friend told me a sump might start to smell??? Is it bad or worrisome ???
Will there be noise and smell if the sump is covered by closed funiture stand built around it ?
Can i use multiple canister filters? to make up upto 5000 liter/ hr to 7000 liter/ hr.

http://www.valuepetsupplies.com/ehe...1650293829&cadevice=c&cagpspn=pla&aid=450&kw=

Eiheim 900 Gallon/Hr flow (~ 3600 Lit/Hr) can i use 2 of these? but i only thought bout spending for upto one of the cost of these on the filtration :(

Can u guyz plz share your valuable opinion and experiences-

IF i should go with the 130 gallon sump for which i planned or with external canister filtration, paying a little more ??? i do not want the noise or smell, if theres any, to ruin the aesthetics of my living room

doc_siddhu

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2009
India
My sump, as proposed by the store guy, is NOT an OVERFLOW type. it is going to be using 2 powerheads instead of one. one powerhead to suck water from the bottom of the tank to the sump and another to return/pump water to the top of the tank...

DIDYSIS

Mantilla Stingray
MFK Member
Feb 9, 2012
West Jordan Utah
Your going to want a sump, your going to want a pump that will do about 4500-6000gph min, you are going to want two 2" drains , canisters are going to be crap on that tank. take a look at my tank setup if you want, but really good advice is find 4 good filter socks, pm me Ill give you really good ones to order, Buy an evolution pump I would say the 5500 would be a good one, Just get an empty 125 tank to use as a sump, Get the tank setup with two overflows and one 2" drains and one 1.5inch return per overflow. Take the time to locate water lines near your tank and a possible drain for water to drain out as an auto water change system. Its a big tank water changes are not all that much fun when you could be enjoying the fish.

Fish store sump idea sounds odd, not sure if they are saying they are going to do normal overflows and then another pump on the bottom just to add more pulling power from the bottom so it cleans easier, With enough flow you will be fine, But the 5500 or 8500 pump and you will be alright for flow and can always throttle them back a little if needed.

An fx5 can be used on 125 gallon tank alright, so plan on about 4+ of them for that tank and I think your going to still need a pump to help create some actual good flow in the tank or your going to be cleaning it allot, Also depends on what decor your going to put in the tank, more crap as decor more flow is needed. Get a large pump for great flow and never clean the tank as it will be like a river and keep its self clean

houie925

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2008
Manteca, California
My sump, as proposed by the store guy, is NOT an OVERFLOW type. it is going to be using 2 powerheads instead of one. one powerhead to suck water from the bottom of the tank to the sump and another to return/pump water to the top of the tank...
Terrible idea. If you don't want to deal with overflows or drill the tank then you're better off going with canisters. Sand or glass type is probably your best bet but a pond filter rated for 3k gallons or more might get the job done.

Sent from my Huawei-U8665 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Tojo09

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 30, 2009
Bay Area CA
+1 610 gallons on the floor later lol.

Sent from my HTC VLE_U using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

MyGiants

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2010
North American Region
stores.ebay.com
People will have different opinions on flow rate. You can go less I think slower is more efficient for bacterial growth. I only use a single Mag drive 700gph on my 300g. It pushes at a 4ft head so its really flowing about 370gph. I mainly run this pump cause it saves me a lot of electricity and its quite. I once ran a big Dolphin pump 4300gph that sucker was super loud and used a lot of electricity. I later changed to a Little Giant 1325ghp suppose to be more efficient in electricity but that sucker also had a loud whining noise. So this Mag Drive is super quite has worked flawlessly for me. My sump is large capacity lots of media. I also run 2 large canisters never can have too much filtration.

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
Yep, the fish store idea is a disaster waiting to happen. If he thinks it is a good idea I'd be reluctant to take any of his other advice.

Canisters simply aren't an option for a tank this size IMO, either a sump or a bead filter is the way to go.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

amazontank

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Nov 14, 2010
Miami and San Diego
www.Facebook.com
I have a 180 with 3 Eheim 2229 filters and another 240 with 2 eheim 2080.

If I had a choice I would always choose a sump instead of those canisters any day.

I still have a pump for current in the tanks.

My 300 has 1 sump and 1 awesome Iwaki pump and nitrates are always lowest in that tank and very easy to take care of. Go with the sump. And like the other guy said, I would always come to MFK for advice just in case your LFS guy is not such the expert since that idea he had is not that good. Any other ideas might not be good either. I would post them also. I had a LFS bro at my house messing up all my stuff in the past and getting paid big money.

ShadowStryder

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2007
Nunya
I run both, 145g sump with 2x 1600gph overflow boxes and 2 FX5's. If one fails I always have two others. Or when cleaning one, etc......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store