New datnoids - question

satanictwist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2013
halifax ns
I just received 2 indo dats and 1 ngt dat. The one indo dat has good color, the other indo changes his color, losing all his stripes and sometimes goes back to normal. I have had them about 3 days and they are eating great, eating tuns. ph is a little high its about 7.8 but all other water perimeters are great. I have turned the heat up and have been salting them just incase something is wrong. They seem to be swimming fine and there fins are up and well. Just having color problems?

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
It's called stability in dats. Sometimes they will be stable(bars showing) and sometimes unstable(black). There is no way to make them stable all the time. Only time will tell.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
It's called stability in dats. Sometimes they will be stable(bars showing) and sometimes unstable(black). There is no way to make them stable all the time. Only time will tell.

that's what I don't get about the dat breeders, they usually market them as stable, or unstable, and if it changes then why bother marketing like that? I would enjoy my fish morphing colors like that haha

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Who are these dat breeders that you refer to? I've never heard of anyone claiming to have bred dats....

satanictwist

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2013
halifax ns

does this mean I am doing something wrong as far as care goes, or will it be a common thing with dats?

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
....and as for so called marketing the fish as stable or not usually whoever is selling dats will mention if the fish is stable or not.Some dats go back and forth in terms of being stable and some are never stable...no one knows for certain why they do it and it really cant be controlled.It's not marketing,it's just the seller describing the fish he is selling.

BuffaloPolypteridae

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 5, 2013
Buffalo
....and as for so called marketing the fish as stable or not usually whoever is selling dats will mention if the fish is stable or not.Some dats go back and forth in terms of being stable and some are never stable...no one knows for certain why they do it and it really cant be controlled.It's not marketing,it's just the seller describing the fish he is selling.

well I more meant of dat sellers in general not breeders, I don't keep dats n didnt't know people didn't breed them. The reason why it stands out to me is that other fish change their stripes based on mood, my friends peacock bass would be 2 stripes one moment then a minute later would have 3 or 4 and its whole back would be dark, so why such focus on the stability of them?

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Because they look much better when they are stable as you can clearly see the pattern of the bars or stripes on the light base color of the fish.It is truly a beautiful sight to see a nice sized dat with its bars boldly standing out while moving across the tank....not so when they are not stable.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Good example Stroll and nice yellow base on that one dat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store