Random Indo death

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
hey guys, so I got news about my Indo dat that my old man has been taking care of.has recently died out of the blue.:cry: It actually died on monday ,but he called me today to tell me. Do Indo have like SDS or something. cause he told me if was totally fine before the day it randomly died. My dad perform x3 week WC's on the tank or even more(clean freak lol). Diet consisted of only tilapia for when it was 8"+. When I had it at 2-3" ate sinking gold, massivore, and tilapia. Tankmates would be Cuban cichlid, Lyonsi, Purple Wolf, and a SB endili. couple days before the my indo died my retropinnis died aswell from unknown cause. Both indo and retro had no bite marks at all. both fish were clean i believe. indo was around guessing 13-15". last time i was saw it was huge...that was couple months ago so idk about now for exact. waters parameters were always good my dad checked it like everyday lol. sorry pics of the fish...I would loved to pics of it aswell but I am in the same boat as you guys. So what do you guys think/ Im missing to ask

Ade

Piranha
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2008
London
Sorry to hear.
Fosh can die alone from STRESS....with no external visible damage.
You never know what goes on when your asleep .. tank lights off pitch black...
Its happened to me.a.few.times. perfectly healthy indo 10 inch.. no wounds at all .perfect fins.. just started swimming oddly and within 30 hrs dead.
Or could have been an internal organ issue... will never know unless do autopsey.
Shame....
SdS is caused by something. Has to be...

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
Sorry to hear.
Fosh can die alone from STRESS....with no external visible damage.
You never know what goes on when your asleep .. tank lights off pitch black...
Its happened to me.a.few.times. perfectly healthy indo 10 inch.. no wounds at all .perfect fins.. just started swimming oddly and within 30 hrs dead.
Or could have been an internal organ issue... will never know unless do autopsey.
Shame....
SdS is caused by something. Has to be...
the cuban tries to harass dat but the dat shoots him away. my dad hears splashes at night, but he believes the dat is doing the punking. but who knows. but yes very true on what happens in pitch black darkness. I think my dat was over stressed i believeed

JayC74

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2012
Massachusetts, USA
Sorry for your loss. It could have died in several ways, but 1 possibility could be a lack of nutrition. Feeding only tilapia fillet will lead to serious nutrient deficiencies over time. It only provides protein and not much else. I only fed my dats market prawn meat & tilapia fillet when i first got into dats and they grew, but soon enough the nutrient deficiencies got to them. The fact that the retropinnis died a couple days prior is strange though

topdog78

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
united kingdom
Could be a possible contaminant ! Years ago I was using a garden hose to fill up my aquarium, things were fine for a few weeks then one of my rays died for reasons unknown to me, then I was racking my brains as to why and come across an article written about garden hoses. It stated that most garden hoses aren't food safe and contain plastisizers and lead !!!!
I only use ehiem tubing for filling my aquariums now !

ExoticGREEN

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2010
$0uth3rn C@l1f0rn!@
Sorry for your loss. It could have died in several ways, but 1 possibility could be a lack of nutrition. Feeding only tilapia fillet will lead to serious nutrient deficiencies over time. It only provides protein and not much else. I only fed my dats market prawn meat & tilapia fillet when i first got into dats and they grew, but soon enough the nutrient deficiencies got to them. The fact that the retropinnis died a couple days prior is strange though
I was told the retro was eating really good. then all of sudden started to swim funny.then the next day. dead. the indo did the same thing aswell. look good that day.next day dead. i dont think nutrition was the problem but like you said.many things could of happen...

Could be a possible contaminant ! Years ago I was using a garden hose to fill up my aquarium, things were fine for a few weeks then one of my rays died for reasons unknown to me, then I was racking my brains as to why and come across an article written about garden hoses. It stated that most garden hoses aren't food safe and contain plastisizers and lead !!!!
I only use ehiem tubing for filling my aquariums now !
I dont think water contaminant. my dad is a clean freak. the fish barely poop he already doing 25% Wc. he always gets the water report for each month.so he knows what he is dealing with. he also runs the hose before adding it to the tank.

pic of the dat!
0524131306.jpg

0524131306.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store