Peacock show tank?

Dontpanic42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2013
Toronto
Hey everyone, my wonderful hubby just bought me a 125 gallon tank, that I would love to make into an all male peacock cichlid show tank. Just have some questions regarding mixing peacocks, as I'm not sure if they will all play nice. Listed below are some of the peacocks I would like to own. Also not sure if 125g is large enough to hold more than one of each (or if that's even a good idea with males).

Lemon jake peacock
blue neon peacock
dragonsblood peacock
OB peacock
ruby red peacock
sunshine peacock
benga peacock
Apache peacock

any and all input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Allan01230

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2006
Michigan
You could easily put 15-20 in a 125. Get them at about 3 inches or so and add them together when the tank is cycled of course.

vinboy

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 15, 2013
Liverpool, England
If getting adults it could look a very colourful setup but if all young very drab most will be grey/brown till they mature then dom males might be the only ones to put nice colour out. I don't think any male cichlid will show its best without females.

Dontpanic42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2013
Toronto
So best to have only one male of each listed, and maybe 2 females of each listed? I'm not interested in breeding at all really. Just show.

Joshmac8

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
Coon Rapids, Minnesota
I agree with Timbo, Just do an all male show setup. Thats what i'm doing with my 125 and its working out nicely. Just have to crowd them.

Dontpanic42

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2013
Toronto
So slight change...hubby got a 12-13" male flowerhorn cichlid yesterday, he's massive and tried to eat our 8" arowana. So now the flowerhorn is in the 125 gallon by himself, and I will be taking the 80gallon for my show tank. The tank is considerably smaller than the 125g, how many peacocks/haps should I keep in the 80g?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store