Yes another stingray that wont eat :( please read and help thanks!

FishMad90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
sunderland
Hi this is my first post and need some help with my pup stingray. I know there is loads of threads about stingray not eating as i have come across these. None of these have helped me find out why he wont eat i have tried frozen bloodworm, prawns and mussels as this is what i feed my other fish. I have had him for over a month now and i am not sure if he has eaten i am sure it must have sometime as i doubt he would be still alive.
My water tests are:
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20-30
PH 7.4
:1zhelp:

FishMad90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
sunderland
What type of ray? What size is it? How big is the tank? What other fish are in the tank with it?
Its a freshwater reticulated stingray its about 6inch with tail. The tank i have him in is just my grow tank which is a 2.5foot. It is in with arowana and two gars. I will be placing him in a 6x2x3 once ready just to add!
[h=3][/h]

x HEAVYHITTER x

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2012
Michigan
I would try earthworms or cut up night crawlers. Also with a tank of that size I would worry about the tankmates stressing him out. Is he captive bred or wild caught? was there a quarantine period before you received him? maybe keep the lights off for awhile?

FishMad90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
sunderland
I would try earthworms or cut up night crawlers. Also with a tank of that size I would worry about the tankmates stressing him out. Is he captive bred or wild caught? was there a quarantine period before you received him? maybe keep the lights off for awhile?
I know its small but its all i could sort out until he grows for the big tank. They dont seem to bother him i think at first the gar did as it was new but have not seen anything since. He is wild caught and was quarantined for two weeks and made sure he ate like the rest. I have not seen any worms about and dont help i cant get them with a garden with no grass lol.

dxdx

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 26, 2010
NJ, USA
I know its small but its all i could sort out until he grows for the big tank. They dont seem to bother him i think at first the gar did as it was new but have not seen anything since. He is wild caught and was quarantined for two weeks and made sure he ate like the rest. I have not seen any worms about and dont help i cant get them with a garden with no grass lol.
Buy some worms from a bait shop, or try adding live ghost shrimp. Most rays will eat either of these two things.

FishMad90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
sunderland
Buy some worms from a bait shop, or try adding live ghost shrimp. Most rays will eat either of these two things.
Will do that if i can find a bait shop local to me. cant get anything else from my lfs as its part pet shop so only stock frozen foods which is crap.

rayguy84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 26, 2013
pennsylvania
Hi, I read your post, first u might want to get those gar away from your ray before it gets torn up............but also what's the temp and what type of substrate do you use?.........if a retic is eating properly it's VERY obvious! you may wanna try live food, rosey red minnows, ghost shrimp, between my arowana, my retic and my marble motoro they consume around 200 rosey reds a day. Just stay away from feeder goldfish(comets) they'll ruin water quality quick! Do you use any chemicals? What type of filtration?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
When I got my last hybrid pup, I had the same problem. She wouldn't eat anything and then I tried live ghost shrimp. After a couple days I switched over to night crawlers and now she's eating frozen fish. Next it'll b pellets.
I think it has something to do with being alive and their natural instinct to hunt.
My ray was in a 210 alone without any stress. You should probably move ray to another tank first

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

FishMad90

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 19, 2013
sunderland
Hi, I read your post, first u might want to get those gar away from your ray before it gets torn up............but also what's the temp and what type of substrate do you use?.........if a retic is eating properly it's VERY obvious! you may wanna try live food, rosey red minnows, ghost shrimp, between my arowana, my retic and my marble motoro they consume around 200 rosey reds a day. Just stay away from feeder goldfish(comets) they'll ruin water quality quick! Do you use any chemicals? What type of filtration?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using MonsterAquariaNetwork App
I have moved him in to another tank same size which i should have mentioned only done it yesterday. there is just two datnoids in there which are scared of the ray. the temp is at 27c/80f i dont know exactly what kind it is but its not sand i will be adding it soon as i moving house in two weeks so thought i would do it then but before i had a bare bottom tank. as i am in uk i cant get live feeders but can buy them for my tank but will cost more than what you pay for feeders. I treat the tank with prime every water change i do it twice a week around 30%. there is a 1200lph filter running on it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store