How can I make my silver arowana less finikey or scared?

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I've had my arowana for about a year and It has never ever been finikey or scared but ever since his buddy (my oscar) died he gets scared when someone is in the room and he also won't eat unless I am a certain distance away he bolts all around the tank and sits on the ground he is not sick just scared and nervous almost as if he is wild he never used to be finikey before my oscar died and he used to eat out of my hand now he dosent even like me in the room what the heck?? I also do lots of water changes and still no difference how can I make him less scared or finikey what might have caused this behavior

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
I'm not sure how to help with your problem. But!! If he's acting like that, make sure you have a good heavy duty top on your tank. I mean add lots of weight to your covers. Odds are, he's going to jump out . RIGHT THROUGH THOSE TOPS. It happened to me and he wasn't even acting strange. So bware

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
How can I add weight??? I would add weight to the tops but I fear he will knock the weights off right onto the side glass panels and shatter the glass

David R

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2005
New Zealand
How are we supposed to offer advice with out knowing anything about your set up, other than that you do lots of water changes?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Fishforlifes

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2012
Texas
Hmmm my silver was super crazy scared when it hit 20" in my 150 got too small space so I put him in my pond now he handfeeds: - Maybe just maybe he needs room or he scared of dying?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

burbon44s

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2012
milwaukee
Hmmm my silver was super crazy scared when it hit 20" in my 150 got too small space so I put him in my pond now he handfeeds: - Maybe just maybe he needs room or he scared of dying?

Sent from my iPod touch using MonsterAquariaNetwork app
That's what probably happened to mine.
He was in a 110 tall, at about15 inches long.
Then he went into a 8 ft. Pool and he was fine

Sent from my DROID4 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

noelsfishland

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2013
In My Aquarium
Do not forget to leave a knight on when you shut of the lights to your tank, that is when they get the most spooked and ether jump out break there backs or worse

that_fish_Guy

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2013
CA
I don't think he is cramped he is just finikey as if I just bought him all over again and it's just so weird because he never used to act like this he can turn around in the tank with about 6-8 inches of clearance I don't think it's because he is cramped I wish he would act normal and eat out of my hand again :(

rodger

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Kansas City
Does he have any tankmates now? Maybe you need to add another fish and it will calm him down. Something that isn't aggressive, but not to mild mannered and skitish either. Another Oscar, a Dempsey, Severum?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store