Just want too bounce an idea off you guys.

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
Hey all! Long time no post but my girlfriend wants me too start a saltwater setup. I just wanted to get a second opinion on equipment, stock, etc..

So, first off the tank size would be 29 gallons (tall).

As for the equipment:

2x Hagen Fluval Sea reef 24" for lighting

fluval 205 canister filter

red sea protein skimmer ( would say model number but I don't know, it's coming cheap from a friend.)

marina 150w submersible heater

fluval cp3 circulation pump

30 lbs live rock

30 lbs live sand

Stock:

Fish

1 saddle valentini puffer

1 six-line wrasse

1 mandarin goby (added approx. 6 months into tanks life)

Coral:

assorted zoa colonies

green star polyp colony

richordea mushrooms

undecided sps of sorts? hardy, moderate light?

Clean-up crew:

assorted reef hermits

turbo snails

nessarius snails

I am aware the clean up crew will stand little chance against the fish and am willing to continually replace them. Any way, thats my plan! What do you guys think?

archers

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2012
canada
Hey all! Long time no post but my girlfriend wants me too start a saltwater setup. I just wanted to get a second opinion on equipment, stock, etc..

As for the equipment:

red sea protein skimmer ( would say model number but I don't know, it's coming cheap from a friend.)

30 lbs live rock

30 lbs live sand

Stock:

Fish

1 six-line wrasse

Coral:

assorted zoa colonies

green star polyp colony

richordea mushrooms

Clean-up crew:

assorted reef hermits

turbo snails

nessarius snails

I am aware the clean up crew will stand little chance against the fish and am willing to continually replace them. Any way, thats my plan! What do you guys think?
Im new to saltwater myself but in my reading ive found that that alot of people dont like canisters because they are nitrate factories. You should replace it with a sump

Sent from my SGH-I317M using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

green_fox

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 18, 2006
canada
I was thinking sump but unfortunately I have limited space. I figured the canister would be better than a hob filter though.

Jrob

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Apr 7, 2011
Michigan
oh boy haha, i did that with a very large freshwater tank not too long ago, we broke up...and i'm stuck with the tank............
i advise against anything smaller than a 40 breeder/55 standard tanks, so this is a too small in my opinion unless you have experience and know how to properly monitor everything.....and even then again in my very honest opinion...because i've been told i was too abrasive before....29 tall tanks SUCK. their lifespan compared to a 29 regular is crap, the footprint on the bottom of the tank is crap....just not a fan at all.
As for the equipment:

canisters are horrrrrrid for sw tanks
good.
satisfactory
unfamiliar with it, but fluval makes good products.
30 lbs live rock

30 lbs live sand
play this one by ear, you need a DSB (deep sand bed) it is just easier to maintain... 2-3" of sand...you may need more than 30#

Stock:

Fish

BE VERY CAREFUL. He will not ONLY eat your inverts (if he ever gets hungry). But, a very close friend of mine couldn't keep any softies in his tank because they would get nipped. Thus, killing many corals. However, i know a person on here with one has mentioned that he has never had a probelm with them eating corals or even touching inverts..as he keeps it very very well fed. So just be very careful.
1 six-line wrasse

way to throw the 6 months in... ;) good call.
Coral:

assorted zoa colonies

green star polyp colony

richordea mushrooms

Clean-up crew:

assorted reef hermits

turbo snails

nessarius snails

see the red

Hoyo12

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jun 23, 2009
WI
fishsanctuary.webs.com
Don't get a Six-Line Wrasse....lol, the one species of Wrasse the I just don't like. Mine (Once he had established his dominance in my 55-Gallon a long time ago) would harass my Yellow Tang, and eat any Snail or Hermit he could find.
Go with a species of Fairy Wrasse - plenty of different species, most a very peaceful, and beautiful coloration on just about every one of them.
The Puffer may also cause issues for your Inverts - keep with caution.
And I wouldn't bother with a Mandarin AT ALL. Not in a 29-Gallon, unless you are willing to pay a good amount of money for Tiger Pods or Copepods. Being a fish that spends it's day eating (All day long) your food source for him will quickly run out in such a small space, even giving it six months. I've spoken with many reef keepers that have had tanks for years with beautiful corals and setups and general, and even they have yet to have long term success with Mandarins.
If you can get them trained onto frozen or pellets, then your golden, but otherwise expect to pay a lot for food or have to breed your own. You could also look for an ORA bred Mandarin that is already on frozen foods. Check with your local fish store to see if they can get them for you. Trust me, Mandarins have always been a favorite over the years for me, but I have yet to attempt keeping one, and will not unless I know it is feeding on frozen, pellet, etc.

Also, I have a Fluval 305 Canister on my 20-Gallon Venomous tank without any issues so far after over five months now - I also have a HOB on my 60-Gallon without any problems. (I have always used HOB's for my Saltwater Setups - the Canister was a first time deal that I wanted to try) The Canister is more of a pain to maintain, but it is easier to hide...Also has space inside the canister to add live rock for more beneficial bacteria and filtration.

yogoshio

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2013
Portage, IN
The puffer will definitely eat your inverts, as well as outgrow the tank pretty quickly. As long as you clean the canister, it'll be fine. I used a canister on a 55 reef for almost a year before building a sump. Nitrates never rose unless I ignored it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store