Sand questions

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
I have a 6'L x 2'W x 26"h i am wondering how many pounds of sand it will take to have a good 1.5"-2" depth. Another question i have is the tank used to be a salt water tank and the owner painted the background (on the inside of the tank) black and white and it's not to my liking. So if there is like and aquarium safe paint or something i could use to cover it up? Thanks :)

seedubs1

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
Indiana USA
If you're doing freshwater, you don't necessarily want your substrate to be that deep. You really just want enough to cover the bottom. If I were you, I'd start off with a 50 pound bag. That was more than enough for my 6'x18" tank, and I ended up throwing some away.

You can paint with Krylon Fusion if you'd like.

If it's a glass tank, I'd remove what he did with a razor blade (brand new nice and sharp one). Just wet the surface and have at it. Razor blades won't scrape glass if you do it right.

Then paint the outside. It'll look a LOT better. This is what most people do.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with all Seedubs said (especially about the depth of sand, go too deep and anoxic pockets can become a problem)
below is a 6ft tank with only 50 lbs of pool filter sand.

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
ik but i have polys that love to dig so i want to make sure they have enough sand to dig in. And the tank is acrylic. Also has anyone used the petco black sand?

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
ok so i'll buy that much and if i need more i'll just get more lol so has anyone tried the petco black sand? in the picture it looks almost like gravel

Dr.B

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
Texas
alright well i found out that the stuff on the back of my tank is just salt so i don't need to paint it

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store